Wireless Access

MVP

Remote AP Certificate or preshared key

I would like to know which is the most recommended aproach for this when you deploying remote APS like 105, 93, etc... not the Zero touch.

Cheers

Carlos

----------------------------------------------------
Product Manager - Aruba Networks
Alternetworks Corp
Guru Elite

Re: Remote AP Certificate or preshared key

If you do it via certificate, you can manage the AP name as well as the AP group.  Security is better also, because they do not share a key...

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

MVP

Thanks for the asnwer Colllin

Just one last question

It is more secure even if im using hte default one on the controller? i mean im not uploading any certificate for now im just using the one coming with the controller...

Actually is faster to configure with just the certificate i guess... or at lesat i see it like it.

I ask you this because i have seem like most of the clients with remote AP using preshared key(didnt set it myself as i have been doing it with the certificate on the deployments i have done) but i was asking what would be the most secure, between those 2.  knowing im using the certificate that comes with the Aruba controller.

Cheers

Carlos

Alternetworks Corp
Guru Elite

The certificate is in the AP.  Nothing has to be uploaded into the controller.

Colin Joseph

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

MVP

ohhhh

so using that certificate that has the AP is more secure than using preshared key then?

It just that i would like to recommend this to a client htat got  tons of Remote AP..... and they are a bank.... but they got it with presharedkey.

Well they are running the 5.x version the lastest one i guess... as thats what it support their controller

Alternetworks Corp
Guru Elite

It needs to be a 3000 series, M3 or a 7000 series controller.  It can work on 5.x. or 6.x

The only APs that support certificates are 90 series, 104,105, 135, 125, RAP5, Rap2, RAP3

Colin Joseph

MVP

[ Edited ]

Well im doing it with a small 600 series(6.1.3.5)  i configure it with a 105 AP(and it seesm it worked)

I used well the ap wizard selected certificate... and well added it to the rap whilist and well its working)

But if the certiicate is not supported for the APS ap 65 they got well nothing to do there...

I ll be installing 2 new APS 105 but they will be facing to a old aruba 200...

We are quoting him a 3600 for their new site for next year... at the end those old aps will be replaced with 105.

Alternetworks Corp
Guru Elite

The 600 does work with certificate-based RAPs, sorry.  The 200 will only work with preshared.

Colin Joseph

MVP

Thanks Collin!
Guess it would be recommmened when they get their new controller and new APS to be configured with the certificate as for what you told me right?

Alternetworks Corp
Guru Elite

Yes.

Colin Joseph

Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: