Wireless Access

last person joined: 18 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Remote AP Drops Client Connections Randomly - Tunnel IP Change from x.x.x.x to x.x.x.x

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Remote AP Drops Client Connections Randomly - Tunnel IP Change from x.x.x.x to x.x.x.x

Posted Jul 07, 2014 06:00 PM

I'm troubleshooting an issue with a Aruba 3400 Series Mobility Controller and Aruba RAP-3 Remote Access Point.

A user reported random connection drops while connected to the RAP-3. I checked the logs and discovered multiple entries for Tunnel IP change. There was 11 tunnel changes from 8:59am to 16:59, with entry for device reboot.

I found another article on the community board which is almost identical to my experience.

http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Unified-Wired-Wireless-Access/Remote-AP-dropped-clients-tunnel-IP-change/td-p/120383

Article is dated from 11/2013. Not sure if a solution was found in the previous posting. 

I'm running a two 3400 Series Controller(Active/Standby) with OS 6.4.0.3 with only a combination of 20 RAP-3s and 2 RAP-155 connected.

#RAP155

• 2.  RE: Remote AP Drops Client Connections Randomly - Tunnel IP Change from x.x.x.x to x.x.x.x

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 07, 2014 06:21 PM

Is that the only AP or is it an issue with multiple APS?  (show ap debug counters).  If it happens to all APs at the same time, the problem is probably closer to the datacenter.  If it is only that user, it probably has to do more with the stability of that user's connection.  For RAPs, a bootstrap entails at least 30 seconds of interrupted traffic by default.

• 3.  RE: Remote AP Drops Client Connections Randomly - Tunnel IP Change from x.x.x.x to x.x.x.x

Posted Jul 08, 2014 02:32 PM

Hi Colin,

Thanks for the response. So far, there is only one RAP that is experiencing the issue.

I have several RAP-3 and RAP-155Ps which are working normally. None of the other RAPs has exhibited the same behavior.

I checked the Airwave and noticed that the same Tunnel-IP change occurs every 15 minutes. 

• 4.  RE: Remote AP Drops Client Connections Randomly - Tunnel IP Change from x.x.x.x to x.x.x.x

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 08, 2014 03:12 PM

Seeing it every 15 minutes is deceptive.  Airwave might only be checking for the inner ip change every 15 minutes.  Use "show ap debug counters ap-name <name of ap>" on the commandline of the controller to seee how many times it has bootstrapped.