Wireless Access

last person joined: 10 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all
This thread has been viewed 6 times
  • 1.  Remote AP

Posted Dec 11, 2013 06:01 PM

Hello,

I have my HQ office with a Master Controller 3600 and a remote site connected with an MPLS line and a local controller 650, now I added another remote office through another MPLS line but it doesn't have local controller, I connected de AP over the remote office and using Discovery provisioned the AP to my master but I don't know if that's the proper way to do it because I see that all the local traffic in that office such as network printing or local file sharing is now becoming WAN traffic since all the data travels to the master controller and then back, is there any way avoid this? maybe the way there's another way to configure the AP?

I'll appreciate any help, kind of new at this

• 2.  RE: Remote AP

Posted Dec 11, 2013 06:17 PM

You could configure that AP as a RAP with split tunneling so all the traffic that is local stays local

http://www.arubanetworks.com/techdocs/ArubaOS_63_Web_Help/Content/ArubaFrameStyles/Remote_AP/Split_Tunneling.htm

What type of AP are you using ?

• 3.  RE: Remote AP

Posted Dec 11, 2013 06:23 PM
    AP 105

• 4.  RE: Remote AP
    Best Answer

Posted Dec 11, 2013 06:27 PM

You can convert the AP-105 into a RAP by stopping the boot process and then typing the following command:

>remote_ap=1

>save

>boot

Then added into the RAP whitelist and after you have created the AP-Group for the Remote AP

• 5.  RE: Remote AP

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 12, 2013 04:13 PM

without the =  and you need setenv

>setenv remote_ap 1

>save

>boot

• 6.  RE: Remote AP

Posted Dec 12, 2013 06:49 PM

Thanks Mike.

• 7.  RE: Remote AP

Posted Dec 11, 2014 10:33 AM

Sorry to bring an old thread back from the grave, but I have the exact same problem as the OP.

Can I do this remotely? And will I lose connection with the AP?

It is presently beeing used and would like to not have it down more than a few minutes.

Thanks!

• 8.  RE: Remote AP

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 11, 2014 10:46 AM

Tman,

Exactly what do you want to do?  What is your current situation?

• 9.  RE: Remote AP

Posted Dec 11, 2014 10:50 AM

I have an AP-105 in a remote location that currently is communicating with my controller over WAN. All traffic from users on the remote AP is being routed to the controller over WAN.

My user are complaining about the speed and I agree, it's crazy slow!

• 10.  RE: Remote AP

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 11, 2014 10:53 AM

Well you would first have to:

- Create a separate AP-Group and then build a split-tunneled or bridged Virtual AP

- Convert that AP to a Remote AP and Add it to the group at the same time.

This will require a reboot of the AP, so I would do both of those steps on a test AP to make sure that it works, first.

• 11.  RE: Remote AP

Posted Dec 11, 2014 10:55 AM

Good point for using a test AP!

I shall do this!

I am reading up on how to create a split tunnel.

• 12.  RE: Remote AP

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 11, 2014 12:06 PM

Tman,

If a network is already connected by a WAN, just make it bridge mode, instead of split-tunnel.  That way the user  traffic just gets dropped off at the site and the performance should be comparable to whatever else they are doing.  Split tunnel is for if you do NOT have a WAN connection back to CORP.  That is what the "tunnel" portion of split tunnel would give you.

• 13.  RE: Remote AP

Posted Dec 11, 2014 12:15 PM

Ok, but my clients are getting an IP address from the wrong dhcp server.

The AP at the remote location has an IP in the proper subnet for that location...

Where/how can I make it bridge mode?

• 14.  RE: Remote AP

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 11, 2014 12:17 PM

When you create your Virtual AP, the forwarding mode has to be bridge.  Make the VLAN 1.  Clients will get an ip address in the same subnet as the access point at the site.

• 15.  RE: Remote AP

Posted Dec 11, 2014 12:34 PM

Ok, found it!

I was wondering why I could not edit the "Forward mode" and when I clicked on the actual Virtual AP name I was able to make the modifications!

Thanks...I just did the modifications and all seems to be better/quicker now :)

• 16.  RE: Remote AP

Posted Dec 11, 2014 12:40 PM

Oh..but wait...why do my users still have an IP from my corporate site instead of one from the remote site?

Will this slow them down being this way?

• 17.  RE: Remote AP

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 11, 2014 12:42 PM
    Double check the users. They should be getting it from the remote site.

• 18.  RE: Remote AP

Posted Dec 19, 2014 12:04 PM

Would you have any idea why my users are still getting an IP from my main subnet instead of the subnet they are actually on? There is a DHCP server on their lan, but they are getting an IP from my main DHCP instead.

Could it be because of which VLAN I have associated with that Virtual AP? If so, how do I assign a new VLAN to get an IP from the corect DHCP server?