Wireless Access

New Contributor

Remote AP

Hello,

I have my HQ office with a Master Controller 3600 and a remote site connected with an MPLS line and a local controller 650, now I added another remote office through another MPLS line but it doesn't have local controller, I connected de AP over the remote office and using Discovery provisioned the AP to my master but I don't know if that's the proper way to do it because I see that all the local traffic in that office such as network printing or local file sharing is now becoming WAN traffic since all the data travels to the master controller and then back, is there any way avoid this? maybe the way there's another way to configure the AP?

I'll appreciate any help, kind of new at this

Re: Remote AP

You could configure that AP as a RAP with split tunneling so all the traffic that is local stays local

http://www.arubanetworks.com/techdocs/ArubaOS_63_Web_Help/Content/ArubaFrameStyles/Remote_AP/Split_Tunneling.htm

What type of AP are you using ?

Thank you

Victor Fabian
Lead Mobility Engineer @ Integration Partners
AMFX | ACMX | ACDX | ACCX | CWAP | CWDP | CWNA
New Contributor

AP 105

You can convert the AP-105 into a RAP by stopping the boot process and then typing the following command:

>remote_ap=1

>save

>boot

Then added into the RAP whitelist and after you have created the AP-Group for the Remote AP

Thank you

Victor Fabian

without the =  and you need setenv

>setenv remote_ap 1

>save

>boot

If my post is helpful please give kudos, or mark as solved if it answers your post.

ACCP, ACMP, ACMX #294
mclarke@arubanetworks.com

Thanks Mike.

Thank you

Victor Fabian
Occasional Contributor II

Sorry to bring an old thread back from the grave, but I have the exact same problem as the OP.

Can I do this remotely? And will I lose connection with the AP?

It is presently beeing used and would like to not have it down more than a few minutes.

Thanks!

Guru Elite

Tman,

Exactly what do you want to do?  What is your current situation?

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Occasional Contributor II

I have an AP-105 in a remote location that currently is communicating with my controller over WAN. All traffic from users on the remote AP is being routed to the controller over WAN.

My user are complaining about the speed and I agree, it's crazy slow!

Guru Elite

Well you would first have to:

- Create a separate AP-Group and then build a split-tunneled or bridged Virtual AP

- Convert that AP to a Remote AP and Add it to the group at the same time.

This will require a reboot of the AP, so I would do both of those steps on a test AP to make sure that it works, first.

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: