Wireless Access

last person joined: 18 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Replacing 7 -year old Ruckus Wireless with used Aruba System

This thread has been viewed 2 times
  • 1.  Replacing 7 -year old Ruckus Wireless with used Aruba System

Posted Jun 04, 2018 03:40 PM

Thanks in advane for your advice and please forgive my ignorance on the topic but I am repalcing an older 802.11b system at our small family business. 

Old system - 5 APS with a controller.

New - Wanted to purchase 9 used IAP 225 but accidentally purchased 9 AP 225. SO I am going to roll with it unles the cost gets outrageous. Planing to purchase a used 7205 to control the APs.

1. Is this a viable solution (the 7205 controlling my 9 AP225 APs)?

2. What licesning costs would be invoilved up front and annually?

3. Where can I purchase licenses?

• 2.  RE: Replacing 7 -year old Ruckus Wireless with used Aruba System

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 04, 2018 04:35 PM

@SuperfineSumo wrote:

Thanks in advane for your advice and please forgive my ignorance on the topic but I am repalcing an older 802.11b system at our small family business. 

Old system - 5 APS with a controller.

New - Wanted to purchase 9 used IAP 225 but accidentally purchased 9 AP 225. SO I am going to roll with it unles the cost gets outrageous. Planing to purchase a used 7205 to control the APs.

1. Is this a viable solution (the 7205 controlling my 9 AP225 APs)?

2. What licesning costs would be invoilved up front and annually?

3. Where can I purchase licenses?

There is no price difference between an AP-225 and an IAP-225, so as long as you were planning to use a hardware controller anyway then there should not be any pricing surprises.

The 7205 is a bit overkill if you'll only have 9 APs. That is the primary area where you can save some money. I would consider something like a 7005/7008 or 7010, depending on how you intend to power your AP-225s. But to answer your question, the 7205 will handle the 9 AP-225s with no problem.

Licenses are perpetual (with the exception of the WebCC, which is an annual subscription). The only annual costs would come from a support contract to keep you with current code and TAC phone support. The only licenses that you would be required to have are the AP licenses, where you would need at least 9 for the design you've described. Optional licenses would be the Policy Enforcement Firewall (PEFng), and RF Protect (RFP or WIPS). I would recommend considering the PEFng license, as it provides the ability to do identity based roles for differentiating users on the same SSID. These additional licenses can be added later, as long as the number of PEFng and/or RFP licenses added equals the number of AP licenses currently being used.

You can purchase licenses from any Aruba or HPE reseller. Are you located here stateside in the US, or elsewhere (for others to offer reseller referrals)?

• 3.  RE: Replacing 7 -year old Ruckus Wireless with used Aruba System

Posted Jun 05, 2018 01:34 PM

Thank you for the info!

I am located in the US and I am planing to power with a mix of AC Adapters (Mesh APs) and PoE (LAN-connected APs).

IT looks like annual licenses for the APS are around $50 each for Aruba Part Number JW472AAE. If I purchase a used 7010, I do not need to purchase additional licensing and can update to the latest code, correct?

• 4.  RE: Replacing 7 -year old Ruckus Wireless with used Aruba System
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 05, 2018 03:24 PM

The AP license is perpetual, not annual. That LIC-AP is the minimal that's required, up to the total number of APs that the controller needs to support.

If you purchased a used 7010, you would need to ensure that you have the appropriate number of AP licenses (LIC-AP) for your 9 AP deployment. The 7010 can support up to 32 APs, but does not come with any built in licenses by default. The 7010 is also capable of running the latest code, but you would likely need to have a support contract in order to get access to the latest code.

• 5.  RE: Replacing 7 -year old Ruckus Wireless with used Aruba System

Posted Jun 05, 2018 03:28 PM

Thanks again.

If the 7010 did not have enough APs licensed when originally purchased, Is that something that can be increased? 

DO you have a part number for the Support contract for a 7010?

J

• 6.  RE: Replacing 7 -year old Ruckus Wireless with used Aruba System

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 05, 2018 04:46 PM

Yes, AP licenses can be added at any point. 

I don't have the part numbers for support items. I would recommend contacting a local reseller to confirm the support options for used equipment to ensure you understand the coverage available.