Wireless Access

last person joined: 19 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Replacing a faulty controller in a single controller environment without resetting APs

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Replacing a faulty controller in a single controller environment without resetting APs

Posted Jan 14, 2015 06:48 PM

Hello all,

I would like to ask whether it is possible to replace a faulty controller in a single controller/single master environment without resetting the APs if a backup of the faulty unit is not available.

The new controller is running the latest 5.x ArubaOS while the faulty one was running a previous minor version of the 5.x ArubaOS series.

The problem is some APs are very hard to reach in order to be reset manually, and I'm not sure whether their current provisioning/control plane security provisions will prevent them from receiving new configuration in case a new controller is introduced on the network.

If they have to be reset, is it possible to do this over SSH/telnet or the only way is via the serial console on the APs (most of them are legacy single or dual radio a/b/g models).

Thanks in advance

• 2.  RE: Replacing a faulty controller in a single controller environment without resetting APs

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 14, 2015 07:23 PM

You should be able to do this.  Follow the instructions here:  http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Controller-Based-WLANs/How-do-I-back-up-my-existing-controller-configuration-if-I-want/ta-p/166288

It is better that you make sure that the new controller has the same version of code as the controller you are replacing.

• 3.  RE: Replacing a faulty controller in a single controller environment without resetting APs

Posted Jan 14, 2015 09:25 PM

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately I can't follow the guide you recommended, because the original control is dead.

The only solution is to start with a new working clean controller (which I already have) with all necessary licences, and try to re-provision already provisioned APs with the new controller.

What I want to know is whether there is a way to do this without having physical access to the APs (in order to reset them)

• 4.  RE: Replacing a faulty controller in a single controller environment without resetting APs

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 14, 2015 09:31 PM

As long as the access points are pointing to your new controller, you have a chance to take over control of them, yes.  I would use the exact same version of code as the dead controller, so that the access points do not have to upgrade or downgrade.

There are things that could stop this from working, so I would contact support to guide you through this.  If your WLAN is important, this is not something you want someone on the forum here guessing about...