06-09-2016 10:49 AM - edited 06-09-2016 10:49 AM
I am trying to figure out the best way to replace a M3 controller with a 7220. Our current master controller(M3) does not have any AP's terminated on it, it simply is used for configuration and provisioning. We also do not have CPSec enabled on any of the controllers. We also do not have any certificates on any of the controllers. Is it possibly just as simple as setting up the 7220 with the configuration of the M3 and changing obvious items(e.g. interface names) to match the 7220?
Thanks in advance for any assistance.
06-09-2016 10:57 AM
Lead Mobility Engineer @ Integration Partners
AMFX | ACMX | ACDX | ACCX | CWAP | CWDP | CWNA
06-13-2016 08:20 AM
Thank you for the reference Victor. In my current environment I do not have a backup master. If I simply took the configuration from the current master and modified it as seen below, would that not achieve the same result:
- Obtain configuration from current master
- Activate new licenses on the 7220.
- Modify ports/vlan information to match the 7220's ports
- Apply the modified configuration to the 7220.
- Compare the configuration of the original M3, and the modified configuration applied to the 7220.
06-13-2016 09:56 AM
That should work. However, it will be easier to use the steps highlighted by Victor:
1. Take flashbackup from exisitng master.
Aruba# backup flash
This will create a file viz. flashbackup.tar.gz
Copy out the file to a local machine:
Aruba# copy flash : flashbackup.tar.gz tftp <ip-address of tftp server> flashbackup.tar.gz
Make sure that both the controllers are on the same firmware version.
2. Copy the flashbackup to 7220.
Aruba# copy tftp <ip-address of tftp server> flashbackup.tar.gz flash: flashbackup.tar.gz
3. Install the licenses on the new master.
4. Run the following commands post the above 3 steps:
Aruba# license export license
Aruba# restore flash
Aruba# license import license
Note: Please do not execute wr mem while running the above 4 commands
5. Once the controller recovers post reload, edit the port configuration & ensure that ports are showing