Wireless Access

last person joined: 16 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Repoll devices for device name

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  Repoll devices for device name

Posted Jun 03, 2013 07:00 AM

Hello,

we have here the situation that AirWave forgot the device names. Now in AirWave the devices shown up as Aruba-{%MAC} or Aruba Networks-{%MAC}. But the local controller actually has the real name.

Is it possible to poll the devices again in order to set their device name again to snmp system name?

Thanks in advance,

Tobias Hachmer

• 2.  RE: Repoll devices for device name

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 03, 2013 10:53 AM

Updating device name requires 'import settings'.  This is done in 2 ways:

Method 1 (individual device update):

Go to APs/Devices

select Device that needs updating

Go to that device's 'manage' page

Use the 'import settings' option

Method 2 (bulk device update):

Go to APs/Devices

Display all entries

select the 'modify devices' above the device list table (this should expand table to have checkboxes next to devices)

select all the devices you'd like to have 'device name' field updated

choose 'import settings' (it's halfway on the list of bulk options below the device list table)

• 3.  RE: Repoll devices for device name

Posted Jun 04, 2013 01:23 AM

Hello Rob,

thanks for your reply.

I am very new to AirWave and for now only have monitored-only devices in AirWave. Would this be safe or are there any config related things to be aware?

Regards,

Tobias Hachmer

• 4.  RE: Repoll devices for device name

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 04, 2013 10:17 AM

Having devices in monitored only state is okay when doing import settings.  Import settings is a data request from AMP that will update the AMP's database with what's currently existing on the devices for essentially all fields on the device's manage page (name, location, contact, latitude, longitude, radio settings (if an AP), etc).  No changes to the device should ever occur when import settings is called.  Note that this requires Device Communication to be properly set with the correct snmp string and sometimes requires telnet/ssh credentials depending on device type.  For Aruba devices, you can get away with just having snmp string set when doing import settings.

• 5.  RE: Repoll devices for device name

Posted Jun 05, 2013 05:11 AM

Hello Rob,

thanks for the clarification.

But I am unable to reimport monitored-only devices.

I discover Aruba APs thorugh the Controller. IP Subnet of Access points is not accessible thorugh routing, just a layer 2 network connected to the controller.

Under the manage page of the controller or an access point I have no possibility to reimport settings.

On AP/Device List page I can select the devices and click on import settings. But then I get the failure message:

No selected devices have settings to import.

Any further suggestions?

Regards,

Tobias Hachmer

• 6.  RE: Repoll devices for device name

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 05, 2013 11:31 AM

Seems like there may be some other issues going on.  All device information collected by 'import settings' comes from the controllers, so I'd expect the process to work as long as the controller is still responding.  I suggest opening a support case to get to the bottom of this.