Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Report Definition: Client Session Count per Device for specific SSID

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Report Definition: Client Session Count per Device for specific SSID

Posted Aug 11, 2014 08:25 AM

Hi.

I would like to generate a report that gives me a list of devices in specific folders (thin APs), with the total count of client sessions on a specific SSID in a given amount of time, e.g. three weeks.

So far, I've tried to define a report with:

• Device Summary: Devices

but the only available columns are:

• AP/Device
    • Clients
    • Total Data
    • Avg Usage
    • Controller
    • Folder
    • Group

Using the report template "Client Session" doesn't seem to help me solving the problem, as the template doesn't give me per-device information.

Does anyone have suggestions to this issue?

Another subquestion to this:

What does the "Clients" column actually give me?

I suppose it is the total count of unique clients for the period, but i am unsure.

• 2.  RE: Report Definition: Client Session Count per Device for specific SSID
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 14, 2014 01:01 PM

The key is 'include details about every session' in Client Session report

One way to get this data:

Then you're going to want to create a client session report

Include session data by ssid (list)

Include details about every session -> this is the important part

Set time range for 3 weeks ago to now (3 weeks ago is limited by amount of time historical data retention is set)

Save and run

Once the report is generated

Export the details about every session to CSV

Then you can manipulate in Excel or Spreadsheet to sort by Device Name, SSID, time frame and get counts of rows.

Caveats:

If you have a large number of devices / folders -> you may want to create a separate client session report per folder since the reports will get large

This is probably something worth raising a feature request about as well.  This can be done from the Ideas Portal on the Support Page.

Clients = unique clients that were present on the SSID (but won't matter if you're only parsing the detailed sessions table)

Sessions = unique sessions with a start and end association event -> multiple sessions can represent a single client in a time period.

• 3.  RE: Report Definition: Client Session Count per Device for specific SSID

Posted Aug 18, 2014 04:13 AM

That works like a charm! Thanks a lot.

• 4.  RE: Report Definition: Client Session Count per Device for specific SSID

Posted Jan 04, 2016 09:53 PM

Hi Rob,

May I know if this function needs a controller? Can IAP product this report function?

Thanks.

BRs,

Michael

• 5.  RE: Report Definition: Client Session Count per Device for specific SSID

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 06, 2016 11:20 AM

Yes, IAPs provide all the same data points that were desired from the report request.

• 6.  RE: Report Definition: Client Session Count per Device for specific SSID

Posted Aug 31, 2018 01:01 PM