Wireless Access

last person joined: 19 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Retrieve heatmaps from VisualRF programatically

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Retrieve heatmaps from VisualRF programatically

Posted Oct 21, 2013 01:51 PM

I'm curious if it's possible to grab heatmaps from airwave without going through VisualRF itself.  We try to make floorplans with heatmaps available to users so they can see where coverage is best.  Currently we screenshot VisualRF for each floor.  However, we have enough floors (in the 150-200 range) that it's a real project to keep those up to date.  I would love to be able to write a program that will grab heatmaps on a schedule and publish them to a web site.

I've dug through the kinda limited API documentation and I've been able to grab a list of buildings and floor plans.  I've also been able to get the path of the JPG for each floor plan.  I can get wall coordinates, AP coordinates, and everything.  However, there's no option to get a pre-heatmapped JPG of the floor plan.

Is this possible?  I'm afraid it's not going to be.  In that case, does anyone have a good example of how they handle this sort of thing?

• 2.  RE: Retrieve heatmaps from VisualRF programatically

Posted Oct 23, 2013 01:49 PM

EDIT:

Did not read entire post :)

My only suggestion at this point is go through TAC or speak to your SE andéor possibly make an enchancement request through the ideas portal or through SE

• 3.  RE: Retrieve heatmaps from VisualRF programatically

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 23, 2013 05:16 PM

I agree with 'pmonardo'

Though another thing you might try to do is grab the images using the XML API.  Go to Home -> Documentation -> under 'Interfacing with AMP' -> Location XML API Documentation will show you the way to query the AMP via XML.  There's an option to display the image which you can possibly use to put onto a webpage.

• 4.  RE: Retrieve heatmaps from VisualRF programatically

Posted Oct 23, 2013 05:19 PM

I've already done that.  In my post I mentioned being able to get all of the images, wall coordinates, ap coordinates, etc from airwave.  I just can't figure out how to get a heatmap from it.  I really don't want to try and write a program that calculates a heatmap with the datapoints - sounds like a lot of recreating the wheel.

• 5.  RE: Retrieve heatmaps from VisualRF programatically

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 23, 2013 05:59 PM

I see what's happening.  The AMP creates the image of the heatmap separately from the the other items due to the fact that items are changeable.  It's looking like it'd take a good deal of work to make it easier to get to from API.  The feature request route is the best route for now since there's no easy workaround to getting the heatmap via the APIs.