Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Reusing a controller

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Reusing a controller

Posted Jul 12, 2013 02:57 PM

Scenario:

1 location has closed and equipment returned.

1 new location is opening and we will be reusing the IP space and equipment.

I already reprovisioned the APs back to "default" before the old location closed, so I know these will need to be reprovisioned once they are reinstalled.

On the master, I removed the old AP group and recreated for the new office (since Aruba doesn't support/provide a way to rename existing AP group).

Now, dealing with the controller is it better for me to wipe the controller, reconfigure it as master and demote when we open the new location?  Or, can I leave the controller as-is, only changing the hostname and location on the existing config?

I've reused controllers before (wiping and reloading as master, then demoting), but this is the first time that we will be reusing the IP space, so I don't know if I can save a few steps.  I'll be shipping to site and having a 3rd party do the install, so I just need to make sure it works.

• 2.  RE: Reusing a controller

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 12, 2013 04:10 PM

Assuming that controller is a local and it is having the same ip addresses, then should just be able to plug it in the new location.

And then simply change the hostname, location.

• 3.  RE: Reusing a controller

Posted Jul 16, 2013 12:14 PM

Thanks, I guess we'll find out here shortly.

Install got pushed back - no longer a rush job!   Site is only 30 miles away, so I'll give it a shot.  Worse case is that I get to make a short trip across town!