Wireless Access

Contributor I

Roaming between dot11ac and dot11n

I'm curious if anyone is running an implementation that has dot11n and dot11ac where the clients roam between.  The Aruba docs mention that if a client is connected to an ac access point it will be hesitant to switch to an n access point and there could be issues if it's going from say 80mhz to 40mhz.  Would the expectation be that there would only be an issue going from ac to n and not the other way around?

Contributor I

Re: Roaming between dot11ac and dot11n

no takers?

Frequent Contributor I

I've got no help, but - very interesting question. I'd not considered the impact of this. 

I am looking to deploy my first 802.11ac devices in the next month or two. They'll be located near a bunch of 802.11n devices, so when it's all installed I'll be able to experiment!

On the face of it, i'd think that by probing a client would be able to successfully identify suitable networks nearby and when joining a new one, configure itself according to the advertised capabilities of the new network.

Super Contributor II

I've got some clients running a mixed implementation and feedback hasn't been bad. i think clientmatch certainly helps but most of the clients are only 802.11n capable anyway so not a huge issue.

scott

Contributor I

I think we would be in the same situation in the beginning where it would just be n clients so I wouldn't expect any issues.  I've heard from other people now that mixing and roaming wasn't an issue for them but it does make mention of it in the Aruba docs

Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: