Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Roaming is not happening when user is on Video call

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Roaming is not happening when user is on Video call

Posted Jan 04, 2017 03:49 AM

We are seeing issue when doing video call on 2.4Ghz. If user roam without making any video call user gets decent roaming but if user is on a video call, roaming just wont happen. User remains connected to the same AP upto 80 -dBM and eventually drops the video call. The signal strength is pretty good everywhere and all the best practises are enabled.

"Before a device is steered to a new AP, the system waits for the latency sensitive voice and video application to end."  This line I found in "RF and Roaming optimization" VRD in page 21.

Maybe something to do with client match ?

• 2.  RE: Roaming is not happening when user is on Video call

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 04, 2017 06:06 AM

- What type of client is this?

- Client Match is NOT a roaming mechanism.

• 3.  RE: Roaming is not happening when user is on Video call

Posted Jan 04, 2017 06:20 AM
    Laptop, connecting on g radio.

• 4.  RE: Roaming is not happening when user is on Video call

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 04, 2017 06:22 AM

Is the user walking with a laptop on a video call? Laptops are not designed to roam automatically with seamless connectivity, so the network must be tuned to help it roam.   You could turn down the max transmit power on that band by 3dbm and see if it roams better.

• 5.  RE: Roaming is not happening when user is on Video call

Posted Jan 04, 2017 06:26 AM
    Ok, I will check that, now the minimum is 6dBm. Anything else need to check ?

• 6.  RE: Roaming is not happening when user is on Video call

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 04, 2017 06:31 AM

What is the maximum?  Remember anything that you change will affect all clients...

• 7.  RE: Roaming is not happening when user is on Video call

Posted Jan 04, 2017 06:33 AM
    max is 12dBm. Will the client get disconnect if I reduce the min Tx power ?

• 8.  RE: Roaming is not happening when user is on Video call

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 04, 2017 06:39 AM

I am not sure that a laptop is designed to roam when on a video call;  only mobile devices are.  Mobile (handheld) devices are designed to roam far more frequently than laptops, while connected to applications.  I am not sure attempting to get a laptop to roam while on a video call is a good strategy.  You could be trying to make something roam smoothly, when it is not designed to do that.

• 9.  RE: Roaming is not happening when user is on Video call

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 04, 2017 11:15 AM

Also check the laptop's wireless card and if there's a roaming setting. Most laptops default to a conservative roam model, set to only roam under the most extreme network conditions. you can (in Windows) adjust that usually to make it more roam-aggressive (at the expense of stability possibly if the laptop decides to try and start roaming when stationary). Other tuning mechanisms to make this one laptop roam better would likely introduce other issues and possibly destabilize your network. Drop max TX by 3dB if your coverage can support it and see if that helps, and adjus the laptop radio if possible in regards to roaming aggressiveness (if it's a mac then you are out of luck).