Wireless Access

Contributor I

Rogue AP detection question

I have a question about rogue AP detection.

As I understand it when a user plugs in a non-Aruba AP into a wired port, the controller will classify this as a rogue AP.  What if the user plugs the AP into a port, whose VLAN does not contain any Aruba AP's?  Will the controller still have visibility of that AP and classify it as a rogue because it is plugged into the infrastructure, or if it is only detected over the wireless by a single Aruba AP on a different VLAN, would that then classify it as interfering?

Thanks,

Jamie.

Guru Elite

Re: Rogue AP detection question

The short answer is maybe.

The longer answer is here:  http://community.arubanetworks.com/aruba/attachments/aruba/ControllerBasedWLANs/47/2/PDFRogueAPGuide.pdf

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Contributor I

Thanks Colin, that's really useful.

So reading that, I would assume if a non-Aruba AP is heard by a single Aruba AP, and the non-Aruba AP is plugged into a port on a different VLAN from the Aruba AP, the Aruba AP will classify it as interfering?  It would only classify it as rogue when it is both heard on the wireless and seen on the wire too?  Am I right?

Guru Elite

If it is seen on one of the wired VLANs of the controller, the controller can also detect the wired component of the AP.  This can be detected(matched) in other ways, as well.  Please see "Understanding Match Types" here:  http://www.arubanetworks.com/techdocs/ArubaOS_64x_WebHelp/Web_Help_Index.htm#ArubaFrameStyles/New_WIP/Rogue_AP_Detection.htm?Highlight=rogue ap

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: