Wireless Access

Occasional Contributor I

Rogue AP

Hi,

Once if the Rogue AP has been contained on Airwave, is there a possibility of this same Rogue AP being detected by some other Discovering AP?

Regards,

Mona

Guru Elite

Re: Rogue AP

Absolutely

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Occasional Contributor I

Hi cjoseph,

If Yes, then what is the whole point of us blocking the Rogue AP on
Airwave?, How can we stop it from getting associated with other AP's that
are registered with Aruba?

Regards,
Mona
Guru Elite

Airwave will signal to the LAN controller to block access to it. Airwave will still report what access points can see it.

Colin Joseph

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Occasional Contributor I

Hi Cjoseph,

Thank you for the information.

Regards,
Mona
Occasional Contributor II

Hi,

Containig the Rogue AP will stop connecting to the SSID which is broadcasted by the rogue ap.
For example if the enterprise ssid is 'test1'
and the rogue ssid is 'test2'.
People will not have accesss to test2 ?

Containing rogue ap can reduce co channel interference if they are using the same channel ?

Thanks

Guru Elite

Typically it would only contain the SSID targeted by the containment, because it is per BSSID or wireless mac address.

Containing rogue APs might or might not reduce co-channel interference, but nobody contains rogue APs for that purpose.

Please see the warning here:  http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Wireless-Access/The-FCC-has-clarified-their-stance-on-wireless-containment-but/m-p/226342#M46143

Colin Joseph

Hi

"Containing rogue APs might or might not reduce co-channel interference".

Can you tell hows that possible 

Guru Elite

Cochannel interference typically depends on  the volume of traffic.  If a rogue access point is not passing much traffic, containing it might generate more traffic and not reduce cochannel interference much.  I am not convinced that containing a rogue access point to avoid cochannel interference is a good strategy;  rogue access points are mainly contained for a security purpose.  The link also mentions that rogue containment could be illegal under certain circumstances.  It is not worth it to avoid cochannel interference when that does not always happen.

Colin Joseph

[ Edited ]

Hi Cj ,

it s becoming more clear  . i had lot of misunderstanding about rogue  access point  . Thank you for cleaing . 

Now if you could provide little more clarification about your below statment 

"f a rogue access point is not passing much traffic, containing it might generate more traffic and not reduce cochannel interference much" 

can you tell how is that happens ?

Second 

How airwave stops clients connecting to a rogue ap  

Third 

Can we define  a portable ap as a rogue ? .Or rogue means someone plug his ap to our lan and start misuse dhcp  ? Or  ap using the same ssid which  i am using in my network  ? 

What are other ways to eliminate or mitigate rogues 

Thanks

Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: