Wireless Access

last person joined: 22 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Rogue APs and RFprotect

This thread has been viewed 3 times
  • 1.  Rogue APs and RFprotect

Posted Dec 17, 2014 03:57 AM

Hi,

We have a huge setup of Aruba across with different controllers and APs. We keep seeing to many Rogues and suspected Rogues in Airwave based on the classification rules in RAPIDS. All our controllers are 6.3.1.5 and above. We are not using RF protect license.

My questions are:

How do I contain these rogue APs? is it possible without RF protect license to contain in anyway these Rogues?

If we purchase RF protect license will we be able to contain rogues without dedicated AMs? will the IDS profile settings apply without the WIPS license?

Appreciate your suggestions, this is becoming a concern for us.

Thanks

• 2.  RE: Rogue APs and RFprotect

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 17, 2014 06:56 AM
    Can you define contain for us?

Rogue is often an overused term. A rogue is only one that is plugged into your network and is the only one you can legally take action on.

Sent from Nine<>

• 3.  RE: Rogue APs and RFprotect

Posted Dec 18, 2014 12:29 AM

Hi,

Yes, that is what I understand as a rogue. In Airwave RAPIDS we have setup Rule for rogue classification which has LAN and WLAN for detection. By contain I mean I want to stop the device from connecting on our network.

On the controller if i select a AP classified as Rogue and manually contain it, what happens to the Rogue? even without WIPS are deauth frames sent to the Rogue AP? will it stop the Rogue getting on the network?

Thank you guys for your time and suggestions.

Regards,

• 4.  RE: Rogue APs and RFprotect

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 18, 2014 12:34 AM
    You would need to physically disconnect the device or shut the switchport down.

• 5.  RE: Rogue APs and RFprotect

Posted Dec 17, 2014 08:30 AM

Hi,

Without RF protect license we can detect the rogues and we can do basic containment but inorder to define customised rogue classification rules and other containment methods RF protect license is mandatory  

Rogue detection and containment can be done without a dedicated AM also.

For ref :

Bellow is the snapshot of a controller without RF protect license.

Here under we can list all the rogues classified by the controller and we can contain mannually.

Rogue1.JPG

Hope got more clarity on this,

Please feel free for any further assistance on this.