Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Roku streaming stick - Not registering with AirGroup

This thread has been viewed 7 times
  • 1.  Roku streaming stick - Not registering with AirGroup

Posted Dec 15, 2016 11:31 AM

I've begun testing campus wide Airgroup deployment using CPPM enforcement.  I've been testing various servers and clients, and I've run into an issue where a Roku Streaming Stick won't even register with the controllers airgroup.  The CPPM entry doesn't show up, a controller CLI manual entry shows but isn't successful in permitting communication.  I've gotten AppleTV, Chromecast, FireTVstick, Airprint, etc servers all to work, but this Roku is kicking me.. I've used it successfully on a Home network and I've opened/allowed all Airgroup services and see no 

blocked-queries  or blocked-service-ids on the controller for the device.  Could there be a Service ID that's not easily identified as Roku, preventing the registration and communication?

• 2.  RE: Roku streaming stick - Not registering with AirGroup

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 15, 2016 11:33 AM
    What features are you using that would require L2 discovery? Generally a
    Roku is for standalone content consumption.

• 3.  RE: Roku streaming stick - Not registering with AirGroup

Posted Dec 15, 2016 11:40 AM

Remote control App (Roku Mobile App) , Display mirroring, private audio, etc..  

• 4.  RE: Roku streaming stick - Not registering with AirGroup

Posted Feb 09, 2018 09:22 AM

wrote:

I've begun testing campus wide Airgroup deployment using CPPM enforcement.  I've been testing various servers and clients, and I've run into an issue where a Roku Streaming Stick won't even register with the controllers airgroup.  The CPPM entry doesn't show up, a controller CLI manual entry shows but isn't successful in permitting communication.  I've gotten AppleTV, Chromecast, FireTVstick, Airprint, etc servers all to work, but this Roku is kicking me.. I've used it successfully on a Home network and I've opened/allowed all Airgroup services and see no 

blocked-queries  or blocked-service-ids on the controller for the device.  Could there be a Service ID that's not easily identified as Roku, preventing the registration and communication?

We ran into this problem last year during our initial testing. Posting in case others run this problem. Note the Roku app does allow you to specify a direct IP Address. While doing a packet-capture, I noticed an oddity in the services - "Roku:ecp" was not preceded by "urn:". You can also see this same service in the blocked-id on the controller. We contacted TAC and development team reported that the Roku app is using an invalid syntax for uPNP (details below):

Our development team informed that the service (Roku:ecp) used by the Roku devices are not currently supported in Aruba OS.

Aruba OS is compliant with http://www.upnp.org/specs/arch/UPnP-arch-DeviceArchitecture-v1.0-20080424.pdf

UPnP architecture1.0

Please find the details below.

NT :
    upnp:rootdevice
              Sent once for root device. 
    uuid:device-UUID
               Sent once for each device, root or embedded. Device UUID specified by UPnP vendor. 
    urn:schemas-upnp-org:device:deviceType:v
               Sent once for each device, root or embedded. Device type and version defined by UPnP Forum working
               committee. Specifies the highest supported version of the device type. 
    urn:schemas-upnp-org:service:serviceType:v
                 Sent once for each service. Service type and version defined by UPnP Forum working committee. Specifies
                 the highest supported version of the service type. 
    urn:domain-name:device:deviceType:v
                Sent once for each device, root or embedded. Domain name, device type and version defined by UPnP vendor. Specifies the highest supported version of the device type. Period characters in the domain name must be replaced with hyphens in accordance with RFC 2141.
    urn:domain-name:service:serviceType:v
               Sent once for each service. Domain name, service type and version defined by UPnP vendor. Specifies the highest supported version of the service type. Period characters in the domain name must be replaced with hyphens in accordance with RFC 2141.

Even in this we support the URN only in following format 
    urn:domain-name:device:deviceType:v
    urn:domain-name:service:serviceType:v

roku:ecp is sending the NT in following format
    NT : roku:ecp 

This is not supported by AOS since the above service is an invalid syntax.

Next action :

We need to understand what RFC or architecture Roku is complaint with and we need to register a RFE( Request feature enhancement) with Aruba if the same service is used by multiple vendors.

We're following up to see if there's any news from the RFE we asked about last year.