Wireless Access

Reply
Frequent Contributor I
Posts: 65
Registered: ‎09-29-2010

S2500 in dorm rooms with AirGroup

[ Edited ]

We are looking at installing S2500s on each floor for our dorm room switches, but have a couple questions:

  1. We are hoping to block Peer to Peer traffic on the wired network, on the 3600 controller there is that option on the wifi side, can that carry over on the wired side too?
  2. Would AirGroup allow a student to then connect their devices together and allow the devices to interect like normal, or will it be limited to services like AirPrint and such?

I have to say if the AP93H offered 5Ghz also we would have put one of those in every room!

 

Thanks!
Jake

Guru Elite
Posts: 8,637
Registered: ‎09-08-2010

Re: S2500 in dorm rooms with AirGroup

The 93H is dual-band. You can choose 2.4 or 5 GHz.


Tim Cappalli | Aruba Security TME
@timcappalli | timcappalli.me | ACMX #367 / ACCX #480
MVP
Posts: 1,414
Registered: ‎11-30-2011

Re: S2500 in dorm rooms with AirGroup


jaker wrote:
Would AirGroup allow a student to then connect their devices together and allow the devices to interect like normal, or will it be limited to services like AirPrint and such?

AirGroup is specially for mDNS based services, is that what you are looking for or are you looking broader?

Frequent Contributor I
Posts: 65
Registered: ‎09-29-2010

Re: S2500 in dorm rooms with AirGroup

[ Edited ]

boneyard wrote:

AirGroup is specially for mDNS based services, is that what you are looking for or are you looking broader?



It would be nice to have something that allows a user to have all of their devices in their own little cloud without any restrictions while still securing their gear from another user.

Frequent Contributor I
Posts: 65
Registered: ‎09-29-2010

Re: S2500 in dorm rooms with AirGroup

[ Edited ]

timcappalli wrote:

The 93H is dual-band. You can choose 2.4 or 5 GHz.



You are right, the issue I had is that it is a single radio.  It has been awhile since I looked at the 93H and forgot my specific issue.

MVP
Posts: 1,414
Registered: ‎11-30-2011

Re: S2500 in dorm rooms with AirGroup


jaker wrote:

boneyard wrote:

AirGroup is specially for mDNS based services, is that what you are looking for or are you looking broader?


It would be nice to have something that allows a user to have all of their devices in their own little cloud without any restrictions while still securing their gear from another user.


can understand the use case, but i believe AirGroup isn't going to solve all that for you. though with what is around it might be extended to something like that. could always file it as a suggestion with Aruba.

 

Frequent Contributor I
Posts: 65
Registered: ‎09-29-2010

Re: S2500 in dorm rooms with AirGroup

Thanks for the insight on the AirGroup.

 

Does anyone know about the blocking peer to peer traffic on the switches?

Aruba
Posts: 429
Registered: ‎05-30-2012

Re: S2500 in dorm rooms with AirGroup

Jake,

The Mobility Access Switches do not currently support the "deny inter user traffic" command like the Mobility Controllers. I believe this is what you were referring to in your original post correct?

 

However If you are just trying to block P2P between your students (in fact all traffic between them) versus P2P traffic between your students and the outside world (which is more tricky), you could craft an ACL attached to the physical ports or user-roles to block the student L3 networks from each other and only allow access to their respective default gateways.

 

Best regards,

 

Madani

Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: