Wireless Access

last person joined: 23 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

SNMP works on some switches but not others

This thread has been viewed 6 times
  • 1.  SNMP works on some switches but not others

Posted Aug 17, 2014 10:17 AM

I have a group configured in Airwave for all of my switches.  I have a cut and past to enter my snmp credentials into the switches(I always fear the typo).  I have all my switches Alcatel 6850s set to the same version.  Some are seen by the Airwave controller and some are not. I am confused.

• 2.  RE: SNMP works on some switches but not others

Posted Aug 17, 2014 10:35 AM

Do you possibly have differing ACLs on the switches that may be blocking your airwave server on some of them?

• 3.  RE: SNMP works on some switches but not others

Posted Aug 17, 2014 10:39 AM

Thank you for the response.

I double checked and I have no ACL(QOS in the alcatel world) configured on these switches.

• 4.  RE: SNMP works on some switches but not others

Posted Aug 17, 2014 10:48 AM

In that case I'd try troubleshooting connectivity and SNMP from the airwave server to the switches first, to rule that out before digging into the airwave application.

If you log into the underyling OS of your airwave server (either via console or ssh) as the root user, you'll have a standard CentOS linux system.  First see if you can ping the swtiches.  If that works on the ones that airwave can't see, I'd next move on to doing a manual SNMP query with the snmpwalk command.  If you haven't used it before, try a query like this:

snmpwalk -v 2c -c <your community string> <switch IP address> sysuptimeinstance

filling in your SNMP community string and the IP of the switch you're testing.  If it works, it will give you the uptime of the switch, looking something like this:

[root@amp mercury]# snmpwalk -v 2c -c public switch sysuptimeinstance
    DISMAN-EVENT-MIB::sysUpTimeInstance = Timeticks: (3231907400) 374 days, 1:31:14.00

If either of those fail, you have either a connectivity issue (routing, intermediate firewall, etc) or an SNMP agent issue (does the SNMP agent have it's own indepdent ACL separate from the IP layer ACLs?) that you need to address before airwave will be able to help.  If they both work, you're looking at something in the actual airwave application itself, and I'd reccomend opening a TAC case.

• 5.  RE: SNMP works on some switches but not others

Posted Aug 17, 2014 11:10 AM

You got it.  I am unable to ping the swithes that are not working from the Airewave controller. 

All the switches are plugged directly into the Core.

The Airwave controller is plugged directly into the core.

The Core can ping both the Airwave and the switches.

The switches can ping the Airwave.

The Airwave is unable to ping the switches.

I am going to contact the company that recently installed the Airwave controller prior to adjusting anything.

thanks for pointing me in the right direction.