Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

SSID with User- and Device-based authentication

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  SSID with User- and Device-based authentication

Posted May 10, 2017 09:17 AM

Today my brain stopped working and now I need some external input.

A customer wants a SSID which checks for a device certificate and the group-membership for the user instead of the computers group membership.

All the computers have a certificate from a MS CA and the RADIUS is a MS NPS.

Right now the clients authenticate using the device-certificate and every domain computer is able to connect to the SSID (the clients are configured for EAP-TLS or EAP-PEAP w/ EAP-TLS)

How can I check the Username (or user certificate) as a 2nd factor?

• 2.  RE: SSID with User- and Device-based authentication

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 10, 2017 09:20 AM
    You would need an advanced policy engine like ClearPass for something like this.

• 3.  RE: SSID with User- and Device-based authentication

Posted May 10, 2017 10:23 AM

So the only option would be to check for the user-certificate, with the knowledge that only users on a AD registered machine would get a certificate, right?

To allow logon, the device also needs a device-certificate and the computer would switch the certificate/profile while a user is logging in.

Is this the correct thought?

• 4.  RE: SSID with User- and Device-based authentication

Posted May 10, 2017 02:51 PM

You can enable "Enforce machine auth" on 1x auth profile.

- default machine role = role machine (specific acl or logon)

- default user role = role user (specifi acl or logon)

and on AAA, 1x default role = Company user role (full access);

and then combine it with ServerGroup-Server Rule, to put specific group to specific user role.

This can be applied if all client are domain machine, for non-domain machine, it won't be authenticated at all.

--Yopi--