Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Same AP-Group for both mesh-portal and mesh-point?

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  Same AP-Group for both mesh-portal and mesh-point?

Posted May 30, 2018 12:48 PM

Hi,

Is it possible/advisable to use use the same AP-Group for both mesh-portal and mesh-point? I configured a mesh portal and a mesh point (both AP-228) using the same AP-group. Provisioned one mesh role for mesh point and one for mesh portal. The mesh point connected to the portal on initial startup and worked great for a few days before going ofline. It's now stuck in a reboot loop (DHCP discovery/offer, no ACK) but suddenly connects to the portal maybe every other day for a couple of hours. Not sure where to checking - this is my first mesh deploymnet - but wanted to check in on this basic question.

Thanks,

Mike

• 2.  RE: Same AP-Group for both mesh-portal and mesh-point?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 30, 2018 01:11 PM

You should for consistency, but you shouldn't have to.  You would want  the mesh profiles need to be the same between both, even if they are in different ap-groups.

You should check the RSSI of the mesh link to see what it is while they are connected, and make sure the masts are both tight.  "show ap mesh topology"

• 3.  RE: Same AP-Group for both mesh-portal and mesh-point?

Posted May 30, 2018 04:10 PM

Thanks Colin. I plan to head out to the site later this week if the AP doesn't come back up on its own.

Is it true that the AP profile should not have a backup lms configured?

• 4.  RE: Same AP-Group for both mesh-portal and mesh-point?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 30, 2018 04:15 PM

I do not know any problem with LMS-IP and mesh, because the mesh point will still have to connect to the portal and go anywhere it needs to through the portal.

• 5.  RE: Same AP-Group for both mesh-portal and mesh-point?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 07, 2018 03:38 AM

As CJ stated, while you don't have to, it's **HIGHLY** recommended to put both portal and point into the same group. LMS IP for portal and point should be to the same controller (thus putting them in the same group is just one of many reasons). 

For the mesh link, make sure you have good/solid SNR on the mesh link, that radio power is at or near max, and there's no loop (ala the network you have on the far side is not already wired to the portal side).

• 6.  RE: Same AP-Group for both mesh-portal and mesh-point?

Posted Jun 08, 2018 03:40 PM

Thanks all. I do have the  mesh portal and point in the same group, (good to know that's best practice!). I was using internal campus AP min-max values for transmit power. I created new radio profiles and increased the power. I applied this to the portal and will try to get out to the site to grab the point and reprovision. I'll post results.

Mike