Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Schedule Aruba AP auto power shut down...

This thread has been viewed 4 times
  • 1.  Schedule Aruba AP auto power shut down...

Posted Aug 07, 2014 02:38 AM

I have an Aruba controller – Model:  Aruba650 / OS Version: 6.1.3.13. I want to schedule my APs to turn off after office hours to save power consumption. Can I achieve this using my existing setup…

Do I have to do additional configurations?

• 2.  RE: Schedule Aruba AP auto power shut down...

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 08, 2014 01:01 AM

hi Nilanka.Costa

There is currently no such option in the controller, you could use some sort of script to log in and turn off the VAPs during the night, but I have never seen anyone actually perform any analysis of the power saved. Mind you, If you were going to automate the turn on/off of vaps, you may as well connect to the edge switch and turn off the POE directly to achieve a full shut down.

regards

-jeff

• 3.  RE: Schedule Aruba AP auto power shut down...

Posted Aug 08, 2014 04:50 AM

I had similar requests before and was always wondering how well it is to the hardware (AP and also PoE Switch) if you turn them off and on on a daily basis. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks, Stefan

• 4.  RE: Schedule Aruba AP auto power shut down...

Posted Aug 08, 2014 03:48 PM

I have a client who has a mobile site that is moved weekly. The site is up 4 days a week every night the site is shutdown, hard shutdown by turning off the generators. Ap’s don’t see seem to be bothered by this at all, switches (which are not Aruba switch) don’t seem to like it. They have been running this way for 8 months now no loss of a capmus ap (AP115)

• 5.  RE: Schedule Aruba AP auto power shut down...

Posted Aug 09, 2014 12:44 PM

If you have Aruba switch you can turn off the power on each of the port.