Wireless Access

Frequent Contributor I

Screencast to Chromecast

I've had a ticket open with TAC on the inability to screencast from android devices to Chromecasts for a bit and hoped upgrading to 6.4.x would resolve the issue. Alas, the problem persists. Using SOHO WiFi routers, this works fine. Does anyone have screencasting working in an Aruba controller based environment?

Thanks,

Robert

MVP

Re: Screencast to Chromecast

When you upgraded to 6.4 did you enable the chromecast/DIAL services in airgroup?
ACDX #419 | ACMP |
Frequent Contributor I

Yes. The chromecasts are visible on the network and casting from apps like YouTube and Netflix works. What isn't working is casting the screen of the device. When one selects that option, a message indicates that it can't find any Chromecasts, even though they are visible to the chromecast app and other apps. 

Here is the service enabled/disabled status.

AirGroup Service Information

----------------------------
Service Status
------- ------
airplay Enabled
airprint Enabled
itunes Disabled
remotemgmt Disabled
sharing Disabled
chat Disabled
googlecast Enabled
DIAL Enabled
DLNA Media Enabled
DLNA Print Disabled
allowall Disabled

Frequent Contributor I

I'm still working with TAC on this issue. When looking at the Chromecast app, the primary screen shows the Chromecast device list. Running show airgroup servers provides a list similar to this:

d0:e7:82:f3:50:d2 10.3.4.73 DLNA Chromecast DIAL 4 wireless Casting c0ap02-itconf
6c:ad:f8:7b:57:d3 10.3.4.19 DLNA Chromecast-2 DIAL 4 wireless Casting h3nap04-apt
6c:ad:f8:94:55:d4 10.3.4.54 DLNA Chromecast DIAL 4 wireless Casting h3sap02-apt
80:d2:1d:00:b9:e12 10.3.4.9 DLNA Chromecast-2 DIAL 4 wireless Casting m3nap02-apt
d0:e7:82:f6:70:2a 10.3.5.46 mDNS Chromecast googlecast 5 wireless Casting mb3nap03-hall

The devices with DLNA show in the device list. The devices with mDNS show in the Cast Screen list. If one casts from an app like YouTube, the device shows in the Screen Cast view. Interesting.

Robert

Aruba

You are attempting to cast to the screen? I have this functional on both IAP and controller based deployments. If the SOHO router supports it, have also not had issue in a variey of hotels and public venues. In Chrome, you need to hit the specific tab and then select cast to screen:

cast.png

Once done, it looks like this:

AKchrome.png

Of course, the extensions as referenced above need to be enabled under Airgroup.

Cheers, Adam

| Adam Kennedy, Systems Engineer - adamk@hpe.com

| Service Providers – Aruba, an HPE Company

| Twitter: @adam8021x | Airheads: akennedy
Frequent Contributor I

Thanks for the reply. Casting via the Chrome extension from desktops works. Casting from YouTube and Netflix on Android devices works. We are trying to cast the screen of Android devices using the Chromecast app. 

https://support.google.com/chromecast/answer/6059461?hl=en

Guru Elite

Casting the entire screen is not fully supported on all devices. Currently Nexus is the only fully supported product line.

Thanks,
Tim

Tim Cappalli | Aruba Security TME
@timcappalli | timcappalli.me | ACMX #367 / ACCX #480
Frequent Contributor I

This feature is supported on a number of devices, including the Nexus. We are testing with various devices supported and unsupported, which includes a Nexus 7 and a Nexus 9. The symptoms are the same.

Guru Elite

rwilsonblue,

I can tell you that the screencast function is buggy even on a simple network without Airgroup.  It is hard to separate what is a bug especially when all other devices stay connected with no issue.  It is certainly not a rock-solid enterprise solution.

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Aruba

I'll echo what Colin stated, tried it on my Samsung S4 (which I use to cast everything else) and I cannot seem to make it work. I'll monkey a little more with it and revert if I'm successful.

Note the project from a Google perspective is cited here: https://code.google.com/p/google-cast-sdk/issues/list

Some of the specific issues related to the icon missing or the cast function not working is here: https://code.google.com/p/google-cast-sdk/issues/detail?id=314

Cheers, Adam

| Adam Kennedy, Systems Engineer - adamk@hpe.com

| Service Providers – Aruba, an HPE Company

| Twitter: @adam8021x | Airheads: akennedy
Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: