Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Secondary DNS Server when configuring static IP for IAP-215's

This thread has been viewed 10 times
  • 1.  Secondary DNS Server when configuring static IP for IAP-215's

Posted Jan 13, 2017 01:17 AM

G'day,

I have configured static addresses for some IAP-215's I'm deploying. When doing so you only have the option to configure a single DNS server.

The only available fields are IP address, Netmask, Default Gateway, DNS server and Domain name.

Are there any plans to add a secondary DNS server to the instant AP web interface? Is it possible to configure a secondary DNS server via the CLI?

• 2.  RE: Secondary DNS Server when configuring static IP for IAP-215's

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 13, 2017 01:57 PM

Unfortunately only a single DNS server is allowed.  Using  allows more than one DNS server.  This of course is separate from the clients, who get their DNS servers from their DHCP server.

• 3.  RE: Secondary DNS Server when configuring static IP for IAP-215's

Posted Jan 15, 2017 06:31 PM

@cjoseph wrote:

Unfortunately only a single DNS server is allowed.  Using  allows more than one DNS server.  This of course is separate from the clients, who get their DNS servers from their DHCP server.

Hey Colin,

Thanks for that, however in the case where we are using an SSID that is configured for Virtual Controller assigned addresses (e.g. Guest SSID's) and we have not manually configured DHCP server settings on the Instant AP's will this by default use the DNS server configured on the AP settings as per my above post?

The reason I ask is if you wish to ensure there is a secondary DNS server available and the above scenario is correct then we'll need to ensure we manually configure a DHCP scope on the Instant web interface rather than leaving the defaults. If this is the case, then the default DHCP configuration is less than ideal if you cannot configure secondary DNS servers for it to automatically use in a default DHCP configuration.

Hope this makes sense.

Edit:

Actually I just checked the local DHCP server feature and even only it supports a single DNS server. This is definitely less than ideal for deployments where you want piece of mind of being able to have a DNS server non operational and a secondary DNS server to still serve DNS records.

• 4.  RE: Secondary DNS Server when configuring static IP for IAP-215's

Posted Mar 22, 2018 10:38 AM

@cjosephwrote:

Hi guys,

That's a downside. Does anyone know if a secondary DNS will be allowed in a new release or in the future?

Regards,

Julián