Wireless Access

last person joined: 12 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Serial adapter problem

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Serial adapter problem

Posted Aug 14, 2014 04:07 PM

I have a AP-CBL-SER serial adapter that the wires have broken off the PCB.  Does anyone have a diagram of what wires go to what location on the PCB or is there someone willing to pop the case off and take a picture of it?

Thanks

Kevin Grover

• 2.  RE: Serial adapter problem

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 15, 2014 04:21 AM

Here you are. I found that there are two dark wires, I numbered them 1 and 2; the outer/side wire on the 4 PIN connector is connected to the outer/side, labeled 1 on the PCB.

CBL-SER-DB9.png

CAB-SER-4P.png

This cable is used to connect to the serial console port of the RAP3, AP103, AP103H, RAP155, and probably more.

Regards, Herman

• 3.  RE: Serial adapter problem

Posted Aug 15, 2014 03:57 PM

Perfect I am back up.

thanks

• 4.  RE: Serial adapter problem

Posted Oct 16, 2014 04:05 AM

Thank you, this helps me to find out what is the "secret" about the serial console on those APs.

We have AP-103 here that use the same connector.

Your Picture shows what is in that unbelivable expensive Cable sold by aruba :)

The IC reads "MAX232..." on it, so it is a MAX232 serial level converter IC. Datasheets for this are available on the net. So this confirms that the 4 pin header on the AP is nothing but a simple TTL connector. Usually those have rx,tx,gnd and a vcc (Circuit Power Supply).

I wish you pictures had a higher resulotion and showed the whole Board in there becausw with that and the Datasheet of the IC one could find out the pinout.

With that it will be easy to build that for yourself since MAX232 and compatibles are not very expensive and the rest you need is just a DB9 Connector and 4 capacitors :)

The other way would be to use an uart-to-fddi adaptor that can handle the ttl connection directly. In this case one wouldn't need to convert anything :)

With that you just need to connect rx,tx and gnd. Vcc is not needed if you have an external powersuply or poe on the AP.

HTH

Sebastian

• 5.  RE: Serial adapter problem

Posted Oct 16, 2014 04:13 AM

Accoarding to your Image of the AP Connector plug and the Datasheet of MAX232 I would say the Pinout is like this

Plug to AP as seen on your pic

Pin 1 on top

1 Vcc

2 TX

3 RX

4 GND

HTH

Sebastian