Wireless Access

Occasional Contributor II

Setting up an IAP cluster

[ Edited ]

Hi guys,

I am going to setting up a cluster made up of 16 IAPs. The point is the IAPs are going to have static IPs, and their uplink management VLAN isn't the native but VLAN 800. The switch ports where their uplinks end are trunk ports and the allowed VLANs are 2, 3 and 4 for corporate WLANs and 800 for AP management. How can I do for configuring the master AP and the rest of APs pull its configuration in this scenario? I think if I configure an AP to be the master and I want the rest of AP pull its configuration, it is not going to work, because the uplink management VLAN by default is 0 or 1, and these VLANs are not allowed in the trunks. Do I need to configure the APs one by one? I attached a network topology image.

Regards,
Julián

MVP

Re: Setting up an IAP cluster

Why not use an external DHCP to assign IPs to the IAPs ?

Thank you

Victor Fabian
Lead Mobility Engineer @ Integration Partners
AMFX | ACMX | ACDX | ACCX | CWAP | CWDP | CWNA

Hi Victor,

It can't be. It is a requirement of customer to have static IPs and specific management VLAN for the IAPs to best control them.

Regards,

Julián

MVP

In that case you will need to configure each IAP individually and configure the IP address from ap console
https://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Controller-less-WLANs/How-do-I-configure-a-static-IP-addreess-to-an-Instant-Access/ta-p/185590

The Master IAP will be automatically selected based on uptime on the network but you can configure the preferred master via cli
http://www.arubanetworks.com/techdocs/Instant_41_Mobile/Advanced/Content/UG_files/CustomizeIAPParams/Master_Election_Protocol.htm
Thank you

Victor Fabian

Hi Víctor,

You said by console, can't I configure the static IP for each IAP by the instant GUI?

Regards,

Julián

MVP

Hey, you can set a static IP from the GUI 

https://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Controller-less-WLANs/How-do-I-configure-a-static-IP-addreess-to-an-Instant-Access/ta-p/185590

ACMA, ACMP
If my post addresses your query, give kudos:)

Hi,

I know how to set a static IP from the GUI, but I don't know if I can reach the instant GUI when the management VLAN for uplink is not the native but it is another (800 in my case).

Regards,

Julián

MVP

You can but the IAP needs to get an ip unless you can convert to standalone mode via cli
https://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Controller-less-WLANs/How-to-convert-IAP-to-Standalone-mode-from-CLI/ta-p/213709

Get Outlook for iOS
Thank you

Victor Fabian

[ Edited ]

Hi Victor,

Then you mean that the IAP needs to get an IP before I can reach the instant GUI and that the IAP can't get an IP when the management VLAN is not the default?

Regards,

Julián

Hi Victor,

Am I right on what I have stated in my last post?

Then you mean that the IAP needs to get an IP before I can reach the instant GUI and that the IAP can't get an IP when the management VLAN is not the default?

Regards,

Julián

Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: