Wireless Access

last person joined: 22 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Setting up an Option 43 template

This thread has been viewed 86 times
  • 1.  Setting up an Option 43 template

Posted Nov 18, 2011 04:18 PM

I am trying to set up and Option 43 template in Infoblox for our AP-105's to pull their master IP from, but not having any luck getting it to work correctly.

We have set up an Option 60 filter to only look for the "ArubaAP" tag and that will kick out an Option 43 return with the ASCII of our master controller IP listed in it.  When I boot the AP it comes up with an IP of the local controller IP address as its master.

Anyone had issues with getting it to work or have a solution?

• 2.  RE: Setting up an Option 43 template

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 18, 2011 04:22 PM

• 3.  RE: Setting up an Option 43 template

Posted Nov 18, 2011 04:31 PM

I saw that earlier and it is completely different from the current documentation.  The AP-105's that I am trying to work on are in the same VLAN but are being supported by a different master.  Will they need all of those options set?  Has their been any testing or documentation revision that we can look at?

• 4.  RE: Setting up an Option 43 template

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 18, 2011 04:35 PM

You have two sets of APs in the same subnet, but you need them to go to different masters?  In that case, you need to set the masterip variable manually on those APs that need to go to the different master via the console cable.  If you change the DHCP option, it will affect all the APs that are not statically pointed.    Please see post #3 of the thread here: http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Access-Points/AP105-with-hard-core-static-IP/m-p/7539/highlight/true#M952 to see how to set an AP to statically point to the master via a console cable.

• 5.  RE: Setting up an Option 43 template

Posted Nov 18, 2011 06:14 PM

If you don't want the APs to find the controller on the local subnet, turn off ADP on the controller.

Config t

adp discovery disable

exit

wr mem

The DHCP option may be getting to the APs just fine,  but I have seen APs discover the local controller via ADP instead of using the DCP option.

Remember, though, the AP MUST find a master via some method.  If you disable ADP and the DHCP option points to an address that is down or doesn't exist, the AP may not boot (unless it can find "aruba-master" via DNS).

• 6.  RE: Setting up an Option 43 template

Posted Nov 21, 2011 01:38 PM

We are in a change lockdown at the moment on our environment.  What ports would I need to leave open in order to create this same effect on an ACL applied to a switch port?

What I would like to do is have my AP105 connected to a switch, that switch have an ACL that limits what is allowed to communiate to the AP...and then we can test the Option template without changing our controller config.

Make sense?

• 7.  RE: Setting up an Option 43 template

Posted Nov 21, 2011 01:44 PM

The multicast address used is 239.0.82.11.  If you drop that address in your ACL, the ADP feature should be useless.

• 8.  RE: Setting up an Option 43 template

Posted Aug 06, 2013 03:30 PM

This is something we encountered as well in the preliminary stages of setting up our Aruba WLAN. Here is what we discovered with 105's and 135's. Our current setup is so that if any ArubaAP is connected to our network, it will find the Master via the VRRP ip address and not "aruba-master" dns entry. We are running INFOBLOX v. 6.5.9-202641

Under the Data Management Tab select DHCP

Go to IPv4 Filters

Create a new "IPv4 Option Filter" <--Ours is labeled "ArubaAP". When you are creating the new filter, if you want this to be global then keep the "apply this filter as a global DHCP class" checked. If not and you want to apply it only to specific ranges, UNCHECK this box.

Click Next

For the Rule use  "vendor-class-identifier (60) string"   =   "ArubaAP" <--- no quotations

Click Next

For the Option Space select your primary DHCP from the drop down (this may just display as DHCP in the drop down)

Then Click the Add button.

For the OPTION NAME column select "vendor-encapsulated-options (43) string" then set the value column to your desired

controller or VRRP IP address x.x.x.x

In addition to this we noticed that we also had to RETURN THE OPTION 60 back to the AP by adding another Option beneath

this one.

It will be identical to the rule so click ADD then under option space select "vendor-class-identifier (60) string" and for the value

type in "ArubaAP" <--- no quotations

Click Next

Click Save & Close

If you left this option set in the beginning as a GLOBAL filter, it will apply to all your DHCP ranges. If not, All you need to do now is apply it to the appropriate range where you will be deploying your Aruba AP's.

This is working currently in our network and we have more than one WLAN vendor with 3 different Option 60 and 43 filters all working. Our other vendors 60 & 43 options did not require 60 on the return, so discovering the need for it on Aruba was quite the task.