Wireless Access

last person joined: 22 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Short Flat Ethernet cables

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  Short Flat Ethernet cables

Posted Aug 27, 2017 06:36 PM
      |   view attached

Does anyone know who the manufacturer of these 4inch ethernet cables is?  They come with the AP-220-MNT-W3 wall mount adaptors that I ordered recently.  I think if I could find who makes them, and I could order a 1ft version that this would be the perfect cable to use for hanging an AP-325 on a drop ceiling.  Not having a boot means it wouldn't push up the tile, and being flat there would often be enough room that it could go around the edge of the tile behind the AP without needing a hole to be cut in the tile.  Any cables that I find when I search google for flat 1ft ethernet cables have about an inch of boot before the cable will bend flat.

• 2.  RE: Short Flat Ethernet cables

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 27, 2017 06:43 PM

It's a custom cable we have made for us in China.

As an alternative, you could consider a patch cable with a 90 degrees angled RJ45 plug, like this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Tripp-Lite-Gigabit-Molded-N204-010-BL-DN/dp/B005WKIR44/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1503873726&sr=8-1&keywords=Tripp+Lite+N204-010-BL-DN

I have not trioed these, but would think they work.

• 3.  RE: Short Flat Ethernet cables

Posted Aug 27, 2017 07:49 PM

That one is round so I'd still have to cut the tile.  It's a good idea, though, I'll try searching for a flat cable that has a right angle connector.

• 4.  RE: Short Flat Ethernet cables

Posted Aug 27, 2017 10:04 PM

I'd try asking the folks at monoprice.com.  They don't have any standard part listed that quite matches what you want, but they do have zeroboot connects (ie, no lump stress relief that would make the cable stick out too far) and they do offer the same flat patch cord stock. It's entirely possible they could put together something matching what you need.

• 5.  RE: Short Flat Ethernet cables

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 28, 2017 02:33 AM

You can try purchasing them from China directly, for example here.

0.3m / 30 cm = 1 ft (approx).

• 6.  RE: Short Flat Ethernet cables

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 09, 2018 07:12 PM

Onno,

Do you know if the cable are rated to support multigig? If not, do you have a suggested alternate jumper?

Brian

• 7.  RE: Short Flat Ethernet cables

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 10, 2018 06:57 AM

Please check https://www.arubanetworks.com/products/networking/multi-gigabit-ethernet/ and more specific the Solution brief on that page, which has a table of cable quality vs cable length vs expected link rates. 

Depending on the distance if the jumper is rated CAT5e/Class D or better, it should work. In the end, you can just test as there is much more in the equation than just the jumper cable, like your outlets, cable run to your outlet, connectors.

• 8.  RE: Short Flat Ethernet cables

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 16, 2018 03:54 PM

Thanks for the info Herman. I did test the cables independently with a t-berd tester. The contractor at the Airport (SFO) is asking for more specific ratings on the custom cables (that ship with the mounts) Aruba had made in China so the cable runs can be certified all the way to the AP. 

• 9.  RE: Short Flat Ethernet cables

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 17, 2018 03:42 AM

We do not have any specific certifications. If those are needed, it would be better to purchase a third-party CAT6 (or better) compliant patch cable or jumper.

Here's a CAT7 option on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Ethernet-Cablecreation-Shielded-Category-0-25m%EF%BC%880-82FT%EF%BC%89/dp/B076PDD6JG/ref=sr_1_28?ie=UTF8&qid=1539762014&sr=8-28&keywords=90%2Bdegree%2Bethernet%2Badapter&th=1

• 10.  RE: Short Flat Ethernet cables

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 22, 2018 12:46 PM

Thanks Onno,

I believe that is the route the customer is going to go in this case.

Regards,

Brian G.

• 11.  RE: Short Flat Ethernet cables

Posted Sep 18, 2019 09:48 AM

I know this discussion is from a while back but why can't you use the AP-CBL-ETH10 pack?  These seem to be the same exact jumper cable that the mounting kit includes, just a few cm's longer.. 

• 12.  RE: Short Flat Ethernet cables

Posted Sep 18, 2019 10:43 AM

I didn't know that part existed.  How do you find out about parts like that?  It sounds like it would work, but I can't find a picture of it online to verify that it doesn't have the boot that gets in the way by sticking up too far and pushing the ceiling tile up on the AP325.

Mostly I no longer have this problem any more because though we've still got AP325's installed, we've started installing AP515's now as we upgrade older AP's.  The AP515 solves this problem by having the network jack connect to the AP parallel to the ceiling rather than perpendicular to it.

• 13.  RE: Short Flat Ethernet cables

Posted Sep 18, 2019 10:50 AM

From the Aruba catalog.  Same exact boot as the jumper cable.  We had the issue with the 303H's where these worked perfectly while lying them flat on the ground with the wall gange kit that it comes with. 

• 14.  RE: Short Flat Ethernet cables

Posted Sep 18, 2019 11:51 AM

Is this a paper catalog you're talking about?

• 15.  RE: Short Flat Ethernet cables

Posted Sep 18, 2019 12:09 PM

Its on the 303H white paper:

https://www.arubanetworks.com/assets/ds/DS_AP303H.pdf

JW072A - AP-CBL-ETH10 10-pk Short Ethernet Cable