Wireless Access

Frequent Contributor II

Should I use an access point as a spectrum analyzer in my infrastructure or no ?

I need to know what is the effect of useing a spectrum analyzer access point on my wireless infrastructure and if I didn't use it ,will it effect the performance and if I want to use it where I can use ,and can I use it in any location or I should specify the locations.

Community Administrator

Re: Should I use an access point as a spectrum analyzer in my infrastructure or no ?

The effect will be the ability to see what is in the air around the access point you decide to provision as an access point. You can provision any access point that is capable of spectrum monitoring no matter the location. There is a license associated with sprectrum monitoring

One thing i have done is provision APs that are in a trouble area just to see whats going on the change them back shortly after i gather information.

CWNA, ACMP, Security +
MVP

Re: Should I use an access point as a spectrum analyzer in my infrastructure or no ?

As Jamie mentioned, it will require an RF Protect license but if you are using Aruba Instant, then no licensing is involved but I believe you will be able to get more out of your campus AP as a spectrum as you can save the output and play it back using Aruba's RF Playback software from the support site.
Pasquale Monardo | Senior Network Solutions Consultant
ACDX #420 | ACMP
[If you found my post helpful, please give kudos!]
Guru Elite

[ Edited ]

The other piece is, do you need remote spectrum capability or are you more likely to go to the location to troubleshoot? If the latter, consider a tool like Metageek WiSpy.

http://www.metageek.net/products/wi-spy/

Tim Cappalli | Aruba Security TME
@timcappalli | timcappalli.me | ACMX #367 / ACCX #480
Frequent Contributor II

Dears Thank you all I will be on location and also If I record the Analysis from access point can I download it directoly to my PC or should I Have FTP server?

Sae
New Contributor

Yes, you will be able to download it directly to your PC.

Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: