Wireless Access

last person joined: 23 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Show Datapath Session Translation

This thread has been viewed 6 times
  • 1.  Show Datapath Session Translation

Posted Jan 17, 2018 10:02 AM

Hi,

Can someone help me translate the following from the 'show session table' please?

(ARUBA3600) #show datapath session verbose

Datapath Session Table Entries
    ------------------------------

Flags: F - fast age, S - src NAT, N - dest NAT
           D - deny, R - redirect, Y - no syn
           H - high prio, P - set prio, T - set ToS
           C - client, M - mirror, V - VOIP
           Q - Real-Time Quality analysis
           I - Deep inspect, U - Locally destined
           E - Media Deep Inspect, G - media signal
           r - Route Nexthop

Session Index, Route/Cache Index, Agg. Version Number[SIDX SRTI SRCI SRTRCV]

Source IP       Destination IP  Prot SPort DPort  Cntr    Prio ToS Age Destination TAge Packets    Bytes      SIDX     SRTI SRCI     SRTRCV   UsrIdx   UsrVer   AclVer   NhIdx    NhVer    Flags
    --------------- --------------- ---- ----- ----- -------- ---- --- --- ----------- ---- ---------  --------- -------- ---- -------- -------- -------- -------- -------- -------- -------- ---------------
    F4:0F:1B:F3:7F:03               2000              0/0     0    0   0   1/1         2    0          0          1bfe5    0    0        0        8        e94      0        0        0        F

This is the MAC address of a switch interface connected to an untrusted port on an Aruba controller within a lab enviroment. This MAC address keeps showing up in Clearpass every 5 - 10 minutes within the access tracker and I'm trying to find out why as the same problem is also occuring with our production Clearpass implementation.

clearpass mac addresses.png

Cheers

Shaun

• 2.  RE: Show Datapath Session Translation

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 17, 2018 10:16 AM

It looks like the AAA profile for your untrusted port has mac authentication enabled.and it is pointing at your radius server..

• 3.  RE: Show Datapath Session Translation

Posted Jan 17, 2018 10:29 AM

Sorry that doesn't answer my question..

Yes you are right that is exactly how this has been configured... But why do I see all of these attempts from the MAC address of the switch interface?

Is this normal?

• 4.  RE: Show Datapath Session Translation

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 17, 2018 10:50 AM

If the switch itself is not sending any traffic on that untrusted interface for 5 to 10 minutes, it will disappear from the user table and will be challenged to reauthenticate again.  Is it normal?  I don't know what traffic that switch is passing that has a source address of its wired mac address...

• 5.  RE: Show Datapath Session Translation

Posted Jan 18, 2018 05:48 AM

When I port mirror both the Aruba untrusted interface and the Cisco interface there is no traffic, just BPDUs. There are no devices down stream of the switch, it's a completly isolated lab enviroment. The switch interface MAC address does not show up in the user table at all.

My problem is related to this post: http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Wireless-Access/Using-default-VLAN-0/td-p/303677

If you look at the clearpass access tracker the event is occuring every 7.5 minutes, when I look at the logs on the controller every 7.5 minutes I see the following error, followed by other errors regarding the MAC address in question:

|authmgr| auth_send_vlan_usage_to_stm Sending STM wired vlan info: vlan 40, status DOWN

|authmgr| Free macuser 0x0x10d470d4 and user 0x0x105cd9d4 for mac f4:0f:1b:f3:7f:03.

Any ideas?

• 6.  RE: Show Datapath Session Translation

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 18, 2018 06:40 AM

A device requires an ip address and mac address to show up in the user table.  It looks like non-ip traffic is triggering the mac authentication.  After the traffic stops, the mac address ages out of the station table.  That is all I can tell from the information above.

• 7.  RE: Show Datapath Session Translation
    Best Answer

Posted Jan 18, 2018 08:21 AM

Colin,

Thanks for your persistence with me, I have now managed to track the traffic down.

It was Configuration Test Protocol (loopback) causing the problem, when I turned CTP off using 'no keepalive' on the interface the traffic no longer hit my untrusted interface.

Thanks again for your help

Cheers

Shaun