Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Single Access Point. Internal and External Antenna

This thread has been viewed 2 times
  • 1.  Single Access Point. Internal and External Antenna

Posted Nov 27, 2017 06:09 AM

Hi there.

Does anyone know if it is possible to use a single Aruba Access Point but have one set of internal Antenna and one set of external Antenna. The scenario that I am looking at is a point to point connection to a building. I would use 5Ghz for the point to point connection with an external Antenna. However I was looking to use same Access Point to service the users inside the building with the 2.4Ghz antennas (internal). Is this possible with any of the Aruba products ?

• 2.  RE: Single Access Point. Internal and External Antenna
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 27, 2017 01:48 PM

All Aruba indoor APs have diplexed (combined) interfaces for 5GHz and 2.4GHz. You could use another set of external diplexers to separate the two bands so you can use different antennas, but it may be easier to use an AP-228 or AP-318 hardened AP which has separate interfaces for each band.

• 3.  RE: Single Access Point. Internal and External Antenna

Posted Dec 05, 2017 05:03 AM

Hi all
    Feedback from my Aruba SE is as follows.

The AP228 lets you break out the 2.4GHz and 5Ghz radios independently.
    This can be done, but I had one or two people express reservations about this type of solution from  support perspective.

A good suggested alternative was the following:
    AP 367 for P2P
    AP 305\207 for coverage for clients

Cost wise it is probably the same as 228 but offers a much better solution to the customer as in Clients get 5Ghz coverage also