Wireless Access

last person joined: 19 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Site to Site VPN on different controller OS versions?

This thread has been viewed 2 times
  • 1.  Site to Site VPN on different controller OS versions?

Posted Apr 01, 2014 05:25 AM

Hi All

I have a quick question that I think I know the answer to but want to confirm.

If I do a site to site VPN between two controllers, do I need the AOS versions to be the same? My feeling is that I don't. They aren't going to be master/locals, just two separate controllers that need a secure link between them. As you can connect from a controller to any VPN concentrator, I cant see why you'd need the Arubas to be running the same code.

Can anyone confirm?

Cheers

• 2.  RE: Site to Site VPN on different controller OS versions?

Posted Apr 01, 2014 05:30 AM

I've done it between controllers on different codes, but it might be wise to match just in case for support reasons? I've done it between different v6 codes, and in a different deployment between different v5 codes. Not sure I'd be confident/comfortable running it between a v5 AND v6 pair though.

Is there a reason you can't match the code levels?

• 3.  RE: Site to Site VPN on different controller OS versions?

Posted Apr 01, 2014 05:32 AM

I cant match the code versions as they are two separate clients but thanks for the reply.

• 4.  RE: Site to Site VPN on different controller OS versions?

Posted Apr 01, 2014 06:43 AM

Understood.

I would imagine you're going for a GRE inside an IPSEC? Best for security obviously.

• 5.  RE: Site to Site VPN on different controller OS versions?

Posted Apr 01, 2014 06:48 AM

I suspect so, although we haven't actually looked any further into it than the initial scoping. But its the OS versions that is the customers concern.