Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Small or home lab

This thread has been viewed 9 times
  • 1.  Small or home lab

Posted Nov 10, 2017 12:42 PM

Hello,

I have questions about building a small lab for 8.x. I've searched through the forums and found that this topic has been discussed several times in the past, but none of the previous posts apply to my scenario. 

I have several APs left over from a small deployment and would like to connect them to a Virtual Mobility Master for lab use with 8.x. Do I need to licenses even if I only have 1, 2 or 3 APs managed by the VMM? Do I need a VMC too, or can the VMM take care of everything in this small of a deployment? 

Thank you, 

• 2.  RE: Small or home lab

Posted Nov 12, 2017 02:30 PM

Hi,

Yes, you need licenses for the APs and a VMC or hardware MC to terminate the AP.

Regards

Philip

• 3.  RE: Small or home lab

Posted Nov 13, 2017 10:19 AM

It's my understanding that the virtual mobility master can terminate the APs, that is, act as the MC as well as the MM. Can someone confirm? 

• 4.  RE: Small or home lab

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 13, 2017 11:26 AM

The Mobility Master (MM) will NOT terminate any AP. To get the full ArubaOS 8 new architecture you will need at least one of each (Virtual/HW) Mobility Master, (Virtual/HW) Mobility Controller, Access Point and possible an ArubaOS switch if you want to do tunneled node.

Please try to consult your local Aruba SE if you need assistance to pick the right equipment for your lab.