Wireless Access

Occasional Contributor II

Software to check the Signal Strength

Hi,

We have recently purchased Instant 105 Wireless Access Points for our office.

What is the method of deciding the location for these access poits inside our office; so that we get the maximum coverage and best strength in desired locations?

Could a software installed on a Laptop be of help to roam around in the office, and reach a conclusion?

Regards

Yagyesh

Aruba Employee

Re: Software to check the Signal Strength

If you have access to the Downloads section of the Aruba support site, support.arubanetworks.com, you should be able to download and install the VisualRF planning tool (under AirWave->VisualRF Plan). This tool will allow you to import a floor plan and place access points. It is a great place to start.

Thanks,

Zach Jennings

Visual RF is great for planning, but it doesn't have "site survey support" (at least without AirWave).

You could use Ekahau (check the website www.wifithatworks.com for more info). If you're on a tight budget (as most of us are) you can try Ekahau HeatMapper, which is a free lite version that might do the trick for you.

Samuel Pérez
ACMP, ACCP, ACDX#100

---

If I answerd your question, please click on "Accept as Solution".
If you find this post useful, give me kudos for it ;)
Aruba Employee

Or if you have access to a Mac, you could use 

http://www.netspotapp.com/

Which is free.

But I always start with VisualRF. Then I use other tools later to verify coverage. Even just walking around with InSSIDer works well.

Thanks,

Zach Jennings
Occasional Contributor II

Thanks to both of you, and sorry for my delayed response.

Actually, I registered myself on the Aruba support site to access the Downloads section - thanks to zjennings!

But as the registration process takes some time, and we could not wait on this, we took the help of our vendor to do this for us. We sent them our office Floor Plan, and they returned to us the Heat Map with the IAPs positions. And the Access Points are working great since then!

And thanks so much for the links to the other site - I'll go through them!

Thanks & Regards

Yagyesh

Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: