Wireless Access

last person joined: 22 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Some AP in RAP mode Down during Migration

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Some AP in RAP mode Down during Migration

Posted Oct 15, 2015 02:54 AM

Hi All,

Im having issue during migration. Details as below :

1) Migrate from controller 3400(6.1.3.6 firmware) to 7210(6.4.4.0 firmware).

2) Use back all the same configuration to new controller by manually config.

3) All AP(AP93 and AP105) in current setup using RAP mode and end user manually insert the IP details using console. They dont want to purge all the AP setting as required more downtime and will impact their operation. Thats the reason we use back the old setting and deployment method.

4) During the migration, only 158 APs UP instead of 228 APs. The VPN pool is enough and all the AP MAC address whitelisted.

5) Rolled back to old controller, all the APs was UP.

Any idea on this?

Thanks.

• 2.  RE: Some AP in RAP mode Down during Migration

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 15, 2015 04:02 AM

Did you upgrade the 3400 to 6.4.4 first and then port the config over?

• 3.  RE: Some AP in RAP mode Down during Migration

Posted Oct 15, 2015 04:17 AM

Hi Michael,

No im not doing that. Means need to upgrade 3400 to 6.4.4 first and then backup the config and then  it restore to 7210 controller?

• 4.  RE: Some AP in RAP mode Down during Migration

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 15, 2015 04:27 AM

You should only restore a flashbackup to another controller on an identical version of code.  There are significant differences between 6.1 and 6.4 which might be the cause of your problems.

• 5.  RE: Some AP in RAP mode Down during Migration

Posted Oct 15, 2015 04:48 AM
    Hi Michael,

In my previous setup im not restore back the flashbackup from 3400 to 7210. I manually configure 7210 exactly the same config in 3400. Is it related? Do i need to upgrade 3400 to 6.4.4, backup the flashbackup and restore it to 7210?Do this method will solve my issue?

• 6.  RE: Some AP in RAP mode Down during Migration

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 15, 2015 05:12 AM

amirmuskatim,

6.4.4.0 is a big jump from 6.1.x.x.  It is also very new and the first edition of a major release.  You should probably try to migrate in stages to 6.3.x first.  Is there anything that you specifically need in 6.4.4.0?

• 7.  RE: Some AP in RAP mode Down during Migration

Posted Oct 15, 2015 05:26 AM

Hi Colin,

Means I need to downgrade back my 7210 to 6.3.x  version?there nothing need in 6.4.4 but end user request to have latest firmware. What is the best practice for this migration based on my current situation now?

1) Downgrade 7210 to 6.3.x  and retain the current config in that box.

2) Upgrade 3400 to 6.3.x and backup the flashbackup. After that restore that backup to 7210 box with 6.3.x version.

Thanks

• 8.  RE: Some AP in RAP mode Down during Migration

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 15, 2015 05:30 AM

If you are on 6.4.0.0 right now, please open a TAC case so that they can troubleshoot if downgrading is not an option.  You can type "show log system 50" to get an idea about possibly why access points are not coming up.

Your upgrade involves:

- Copying and pasting a config

- Changing hardware

- A migration to 3 major releases newer

Any of these steps by themselves could cause an issue.  Doing all three at the same time probably means you need more specific help than you could get on this forum, so please open a TAC case ASAP so that they can troubleshoot and give you some direction.

• 9.  RE: Some AP in RAP mode Down during Migration

Posted Oct 15, 2015 05:49 AM

Hi Colin,

Thanks for the advise.