Wireless Access

Occasional Contributor II

Some APs not scanning while others in same ARM profile are

We have AP105s on a 3600 controller running on the latest code.

We've had issues for about a month where we see the same SSID coming from multiple APs on the same channel with almost the same signal strength.

I've tried everything I have come across in the forums, turning off client aware, new ARM profile, etc. I've even moved any APs that had line of sight inside drop ceilings.

While most of the WLAN is fine we have some spots where we see a lot of overlap. When I look at the arm counters for most of my access points it's in the neighborhood of 15,000 scan_attempts. For the problematic ones it's around 20. Not 20,000 but 20.

I've upped the setting where the AP won't scan due to bandwidth to 100MBPS. I can have nobody on the network (maybe 40 devices alive but with minimal if any data) and I see the same thing.

Has anyone experienced this? All APs are on the same ARM profile.
Super Contributor II

Re: Some APs not scanning while others in same ARM profile are

Copy and paste the parameters of the used arm profile for us to look at.Or the whole config.

Go into enable mode and type

show configuration | begin arm

You will see rf arm-profile

Sean Rynearson | Chief Airhead
Aruba, a Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company
Guru Elite

Nifbar wrote:
We have AP105s on a 3600 controller running on the latest code.

We've had issues for about a month where we see the same SSID coming from multiple APs on the same channel with almost the same signal strength.

I've tried everything I have come across in the forums, turning off client aware, new ARM profile, etc. I've even moved any APs that had line of sight inside drop ceilings.

While most of the WLAN is fine we have some spots where we see a lot of overlap. When I look at the arm counters for most of my access points it's in the neighborhood of 15,000 scan_attempts. For the problematic ones it's around 20. Not 20,000 but 20.

I've upped the setting where the AP won't scan due to bandwidth to 100MBPS. I can have nobody on the network (maybe 40 devices alive but with minimal if any data) and I see the same thing.

Has anyone experienced this? All APs are on the same ARM profile.

I'm trying to answer your question, but also understand what you are experiencing.  Questions:

- Do you have a performance issue?

- Depending on your physical density, there is certainly a permissible measure of overlap and there is also overlap that you cannot tune your way out of.  

There are measures within the Aruba code to address overlap to a certain extent, and you should not worry unless you have a performance issue.  With regards to overlap, you can certainly try ARM mode-aware to see if that will get you want you need.  Ideally, you should be measuring retries to see if your environment is healthy.

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Occasional Contributor II

Here is my ARM profile.
rf arm-profile "ARM-RB-G"
  no client-aware
  min-tx-power 3
  no video-aware-scan
  ideal-coverage-index 7
  load-aware-scan-threshold 10000000
  mode-aware

We've tried with SLB on and off with no difference. We don't have a domain set for SLB which I know impacts ARM.

We have local probe threshold set to 25 which I don't think is relevant to this but am adding just in case.

The strangest part is this is somewhat new. I have demo'ed it working in the same spots I've had issues on multiple occasions.
Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: