Wireless Access

last person joined: 15 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Some of device cannot access Aruba AP smoothly

This thread has been viewed 9 times
  • 1.  Some of device cannot access Aruba AP smoothly

Posted Dec 11, 2012 03:25 AM
      |   view attached

My customer complaint some of they device cannot access Aruba AP smoothly. They said reject by Aruba controller. I have attach screen capture . 

Please advise

Attachment(s)

docx
    WPA2.docx   13 KB 1 version

• 2.  RE: Some of device cannot access Aruba AP smoothly

Posted Dec 11, 2012 04:26 AM

quite hard to do based on such limited information. i would focus on determining if it is a common device type with this issue, if so check if drivers are up to date. try to find out if it happens on specific location / times or everywhere.

the logging indicates a possible issue, but are they even sure that these are the devices that dont connect well or is it just something they noticed after looking into the issue? enable client debuging so all messages are shown, perhaps after this error it just works for those devices.

• 3.  RE: Some of device cannot access Aruba AP smoothly

Posted Dec 11, 2012 04:54 AM

It is authentication setting issue. try to check the following From or 802.1x profile in advanced options:

you need to check the value of ' Interval between WPA/WPA2 Key Messages ' try to increase it, if no advantage try to decrease it.

• 4.  RE: Some of device cannot access Aruba AP smoothly

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 11, 2012 05:35 AM

What ArubaOS code?

What kind of Client?

What Encryption?

That message by itself is not 100% conclusive; upgrading the client to the latest driver helps for some.  

Ensuring that there is  little interference as possible helps for others.  

Last but not least, changing the timers helps for a few.

• 5.  RE: Some of device cannot access Aruba AP smoothly

Posted Dec 11, 2012 08:22 PM

Thanks you for all of you prompt response and suggestion. I will try the sugguestion. 

Is running 6.1.3.4

Client is running Windows CE

Encryption is WPA2-psk-AES

I just curious, if the environment have high power equipment (415 volt) does affect the device? The device was fix to that location was no moveable. 

• 6.  RE: Some of device cannot access Aruba AP smoothly

Posted Dec 12, 2012 10:30 AM

My customer have another problem which is the some of the windows CE device does not connect to nearest Aruba AP instead of it connect to the Aruba AP far away from it. Because that nearest AP doesn't have any client connect to it and that AP does not detect any inteference. Is there any setting i need to tune-up?

• 7.  RE: Some of device cannot access Aruba AP smoothly

Posted Dec 12, 2012 10:32 AM

IS the nearest AP has many clients on it?

Does it has the spectrum load balancer on?

• 8.  RE: Some of device cannot access Aruba AP smoothly

Posted Dec 12, 2012 09:13 PM

NightShade1,

The nearest AP doesn't have any client connect to it.

Yes, spectrum load balancer was enbale.

• 9.  RE: Some of device cannot access Aruba AP smoothly
    Best Answer

Posted Dec 12, 2012 10:41 AM

One of the things we to make clients connect to the better signal or closest AP is the following config :

Try first changing the local probe threshold to 30 db and see how that works and then you can also try Removing the lower data rates . You can implement this under the ssid profile.

Make sure you test this before applying it 

wlan ssid-profile "test_ssid"
    essid "test"
    a-basic-rates 9 12 24
    a-tx-rates 9 12 18 24 36 48 54
    g-basic-rates 6 9
    g-tx-rates 6 9 11 12 18 24 36 48 54
    local-probe-req-thresh 25

If this doesn't work see is there's any issues with the driver you currently have installed .

Thanks

• 10.  RE: Some of device cannot access Aruba AP smoothly

Posted Dec 12, 2012 09:14 PM

vfabian,

I will try on that.

• 11.  RE: Some of device cannot access Aruba AP smoothly

Posted Dec 11, 2012 08:43 AM

Hope this helps:

http://support.arubanetworks.com/ArubaOSKB/tabid/111/Default.aspx

What are replay counter mismatch messages?
    Answer ID 450   |    Published 04/16/2009 01:27 PM   |    Updated 04/16/2009 01:27 PM
    What are replay counter mismatch messages?

Product and Software: This article applies to ArubaOS 3.1 and later.

After successful dot1x authentication, session keys are derived from pairwise master key. When the AP transmits a key to a station by default, it expects a response back within 1000 msec. If the station does not respond, the AP increments the counter and retransmits the key.

If the AP receives a response to first message just after the retransmission of the key, a mismatch occurs in the counter

This can be seen in the error log and in the output of the 'show auth-trace buffer' command.

Error Log

Apr 18 13:09:10 <authmgr 132093> <ERRS> |authmgr| WPA Key message 2 from Station 00:16:e3:fe:06:44 00:0b:86:64:07:20 SA-QRS-01 did not match the replay counter 016 vs 017 
    Apr 18 13:09:14 <authmgr 132093> <ERRS> |authmgr| WPA Key message 2 from Station 00:16:e3:fe:06:44 00:0b:86:64:07:20 SA-QRS-01 did not match the replay counter 017 vs 018

The key period can be increased in the dot1x profile being used to remediate this situation.

• 12.  RE: Some of device cannot access Aruba AP smoothly

Posted Dec 11, 2012 09:49 AM

Edith this post

The asnwer was given up and didnt read.

• 13.  RE: Some of device cannot access Aruba AP smoothly

Posted Dec 12, 2012 09:20 PM
    i ask you that ecause it could be that if you had spectrum load balancer on and to balance clients between aps then if the ap was to loaded thats why it dididnt roam.... you could try using the hand off assist

• 14.  RE: Some of device cannot access Aruba AP smoothly

Posted Dec 12, 2012 09:56 PM

NightShade1,

Client was fix to that location, it is not movable client.

• 15.  RE: Some of device cannot access Aruba AP smoothly

Posted Dec 12, 2012 10:40 PM

Maybe that Client cannot see that AP and thats why he is connecting to the one that is far...

To check that

you can either check if the output power of the AP  from one to the ohter is different.

or you just can turn 802.1h/802.1d so the ap negociate the output power and the country code.(it is recommeded to have it on as far as your clients support it) all the new clients support it but legacy cards wont... but just try it

The other option is that you could use  one of those program to check if you can see it

Sometimes there are issues in which a client cannot see the AP or APS.... and this is the issue normally the easy fix if the clients support it, its turning on like i said 802.1h/802.1d... you can see that feature  under  ap group rf  managment on the 802g profil and 802a profile.

• 16.  RE: Some of device cannot access Aruba AP smoothly

Posted Dec 12, 2012 10:48 PM

You can use this program which is the one i use

http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider/

And see if you can see that AP with your client?