Wireless Access

last person joined: 21 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Spanning Tree & layer 2 loops on GRE tunnels

This thread has been viewed 2 times
  • 1.  Spanning Tree & layer 2 loops on GRE tunnels

Posted May 03, 2012 11:26 AM

Bridging layer 2 is great over GRE, but when I create a layer 2 loop with a GRE tunnel spantree does not seem to block the loop

Anyone resolved this?

• 2.  RE: Spanning Tree & layer 2 loops on GRE tunnels

Posted May 03, 2012 01:05 PM

What version of code are you running?

• 3.  RE: Spanning Tree & layer 2 loops on GRE tunnels

Posted May 03, 2012 01:08 PM

Anybody feel free to tell me I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure the L2 GREs don't forward STP. Therefore, you can't block loops down them using it.

• 4.  RE: Spanning Tree & layer 2 loops on GRE tunnels

Posted May 03, 2012 02:03 PM

You are correct, Racking.  Tunnel interfaces do not even show up in an STP forwarding table.

• 5.  RE: Spanning Tree & layer 2 loops on GRE tunnels

Posted May 04, 2012 02:56 AM
    I am on the latest code version 6, is there any way around this or should I look for a layer 3 solution. This is all about a pair of internal controllers connecting to a pair of external controllers in a mesh of tunnels and bridging a common vlan. It would be nice if my network architect would allow me to use dot1q so I could bridge multiple vlans up from internal to dmz, frankly tunnelling through a firewall like this sort of achieves the same thing except I can't seem to run a trunk over a tunnel (maybe a solution there for a design problem on my part).. But he is the boss! And I DO respect that! Any thoughts?

• 6.  RE: Spanning Tree & layer 2 loops on GRE tunnels

Posted May 04, 2012 06:07 AM

If you want to stick with L2 instead of L3, and get resilience, what about setting the external end of the tunnels destined to a VRRP on the main controllers? Then each internal just has one tunnel going to the VRRP? Can't see why you'd need a tunnel between the internals? Depends on the main network topology I guess.

Maybe try that?

• 7.  RE: Spanning Tree & layer 2 loops on GRE tunnels

Posted May 04, 2012 07:28 AM
    That idea is very cool. I have seen this kind of approach before with Cisco vpn termination on two routers.... Didn't even cross my mind in this context. Good thinking that man! Sorry you are right I didn't tunnel between the internals. I'll mull that one over :-)