Wireless Access

Frequent Contributor II

Spectrum load balance for AP 61

Hello,

I'm trying to configure spectrum load balance with my old AP 61 but I don't know if this feature is supported for those AP.

I'm running AOS 6.3.1.3.

After checking "Spectrum Load Balancing" under profiles for a and b radios, I check with "show ap active ap-name" but I don't see flag L.

Is that supported for AP61, if not what sort of client balancing can we do?

Thank you

Guru Elite

Re: Spectrum load balance for AP 61

To check to see if Spectrum load balancing is enabled:

(192.168.1.3) #show ap debug received-config al-name <name of ap> | include Spectrum
Spectrum Load Balancing                                                 Enabled
Spectrum Load Balancing Mode                                            channel
Spectrum Load Balancing Update Interval (sec)                           30 seconds
Spectrum Load Balancing Threshold (%)                                   20 percent
Spectrum Load Balancing                                                 Enabled
Spectrum Load Balancing Mode                                            channel
Spectrum Load Balancing Update Interval (sec)                           30 seconds
Spectrum Load Balancing Threshold (%)                                   20 percent

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Frequent Contributor II

OK,

I have checked that Spectrum Load Balance is enabled in two AP 61 located 25 meters each other, but checking the client associations, I always see a difference 15-1 aprox betweend those AP, 

Is there some way to troubleshooting that or some config I should be aware of ??

Thank you

Guru Elite

Maybe those access points are too far away to be in the same neighborhood.  If they are two far away from each other, it is not expected that they should be doing load balancing between each other.  If a user is right under an access point, I would not want that user to associate to an AP 25 meters away just to load balance.

type "show ap ARM state" to see if those devices are considered neighbors..

Colin Joseph

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Frequent Contributor II

No,  they aren't.

Min Tx EIRP is 12, Max Tx EIRP is 21, for both a and g bands, perhaps if I up Max EIRP I can allow both AP to be neighbours, the problems is that there is lots of wifi interference in the building and some way to increase performace despite of it could be make load balance effective between those AP.

Any suggestion??

Guru Elite

The AP61 only supports clients on a single band, and by default that is just 2.4ghz.  There is no way that you can get away from interference using load balancing.  You should deploy dual-band access points to get away from interference.

Colin Joseph

Frequent Contributor II

Hi Colin,

I know it, I know there is no way to avoid external wifi interfece except changing from 2.4 GHZ to 5 GHZ.

My goal is not avoiding interference but decrease its effect on end clients, if I get a real sharing of clients between some AP I will decrease  some retransmission at g band and I will improve performance (even with interference).

That's why I'm asking for advice...

Guru Elite

jgarciav,

Let's start from the beginning:

What is the problem?

Colin Joseph

Frequent Contributor II

Colin

OK, starting from the begining, the problem is I have a building with tree floors deployed with AP 61, this building is at the middle of the city and there are lots of external wifi ( buildings around mine) in  the 2.4 GHZ band, so interferences are big enough.

I have tried changing all my AP from 2.4 GHz to 5 GHz band, but there are clients not supporting 5GHz band, so I must keep some of my AP at 2.4 GHz band.

Interference decrease performance, and I can't do anything with that, but I can try to increase performance if I make load sharing between APs near one another , (now for example I have one AP with 15-20 clients and other one with 2-3, both AP separated 25 meter)

Guru Elite

How many APs on each floor?

If you look at the Dashboard Tab on the controller, what is the utilization and interference for those access points?

Colin Joseph

Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: