Wireless Access

last person joined: 23 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Spectrum load balancer or band steering

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  Spectrum load balancer or band steering

Posted Jan 09, 2012 12:33 PM

I was wondering in which situalions you guys use pick spectrum load balancer over the band steering or pick band steering over  spectrum load balancer.

As far im reading Aruba recomends to have just ONE on, but not BOTH at the same time as best practice.

• 2.  RE: Spectrum load balancer or band steering

Posted Jan 20, 2012 12:18 PM

I thought they are two different things.  Band steering to prefer-5 GHz is configured in virtual-ap profile to steer clients that can do both a and g to prefer “a” 5 GHz band where the spectrum is not very crowded.  Spectrum load balancing is in RF radio profile to load balancing clients to APs.  While the first configuration is prefer for all cases, the later configuration is very useful in the crowded environment such as conference room.  I had both of them enable, and found they are working great.

Any experts can confirm the Aruba recommendation about both band steering and spectrum load balancing should not enable at the same time?

Trinh Nguyen

• 3.  RE: Spectrum load balancer or band steering

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 20, 2012 12:24 PM

@ngutri wrote:

I thought they are two different things.  Band steering to prefer-5 GHz is configured in virtual-ap profile to steer clients that can do both a and g to prefer “a” 5 GHz band where the spectrum is not very crowded.  Spectrum load balancing is in RF radio profile to load balancing clients to APs.  While the first configuration is prefer for all cases, the later configuration is very useful in the crowded environment such as conference room.  I had both of them enable, and found they are working great.

Any experts can confirm the Aruba recommendation about both band steering and spectrum load balancing should not enable at the same time?

Trinh Nguyen

Where does it say that you should not enable both at the same time?

• 4.  RE: Spectrum load balancer or band steering

Posted Jan 20, 2012 04:22 PM

It says on the manual on the 6.1UG

Ill copy paste for you from the manual

"Best practices is to use either the Band Steering or the Spectrum Load Balancing feature to balance client load
    across channels, but not both at the same time."

Page 160

• 5.  RE: Spectrum load balancer or band steering

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 22, 2012 02:07 PM

Band-Steering moves 5ghz capable devices to the 5ghz when they are on a dual-band access point and trying to access an SSID that is broadcasting on both bands.  Spectrum load balancing tries to evenly balance users by radio or channel on each access point.  You should use one or the other to obtain predictable results.

Band Steering is applied at the Virtual AP level.  Spectrum load balancing is applied at the AP level.  

• 6.  RE: Spectrum load balancer or band steering

Posted Feb 08, 2012 08:54 PM

Thanks for the clarification Cjoseph

• 7.  RE: Spectrum load balancer or band steering

Posted Oct 22, 2012 10:17 AM

Should we disable band-steering and enable spectrum load balancing if we are running into issues with band-steering.?