Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Station Ageout Time

This thread has been viewed 6 times
  • 1.  Station Ageout Time

Posted Sep 05, 2013 09:11 AM

I am looking at the values which I have set for the Station Ageout time in my SSID Profiles.

It is currently set at 500sec which I believe to be the default value.

Because I have a lot of BYOD clients on this SSID which go to sleep frequently I am considering increasing the ageout time to a higher value.  Perhaps as high as 30min.

Is there any reason that I should not do this?

Cheers,

• 2.  RE: Station Ageout Time
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 05, 2013 09:37 AM

No...that shoud be ok.  Especially at only 30 min.

• 3.  RE: Station Ageout Time

Posted Oct 15, 2013 10:50 AM

How high could one go with this before there are negative consequences?  I'm having issues with a client guest network where guest are having to re-auth via captive portal sooner than they would like (mobile devices go to sleep, and upon wake, re-auth).  Is increasing [Station-Ageout Time] the best approach, or would increasing [User Idle Timeout] be a better choice?

• 4.  RE: Station Ageout Time

Posted Feb 20, 2014 12:06 PM

Thanks versatech,

I like this option better as it will allow me to assign an idle timeout value as a RADIUS attribute to each user-role.

This way I can age out un-authenticated stations in the guest-logon role quickly and allow my authenticated users a much longer idle time.