Wireless Access

last person joined: 20 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Steps in troubleshooting

This thread has been viewed 16 times
  • 1.  Steps in troubleshooting

Posted Mar 28, 2013 12:25 AM

How do I Troubleshoot if client is unable to connect to an SSID with 802.1x authentication. I face frequent issues when it comes to authenticating. I use the Microsoft NPS role for 802.1x authentication.

WPA 2 Enterprise mode

Authentication Protocol: PEAP

Encrytion type: AES

Unable to find a permanent solution.

• 2.  RE: Steps in troubleshooting

Posted Mar 28, 2013 05:06 AM
      |   view attached

Hi,

Good morning,

Take a look on the attached PDF (Troubleshooting Cheat Sheet)  - it will assist you to tourbelshoot your auth issues.

Have a lovley day.

me

Attachment(s)

• 3.  RE: Steps in troubleshooting

Posted Mar 28, 2013 08:11 AM

First line of troublshooting 802.1X is to look at the Radius log entry for the failure.  Typically it will provide a reason for the failure.  It may explain it right away or may be a bit cryptic, but it should point you in the right direction.    Let us know if you can post a failure event log entry from NPS.

• 4.  RE: Steps in troubleshooting

Posted Aug 14, 2013 04:09 PM

I have a question about the show auth-tracebuf command. For example

Aug 02 11:10:40  eap-resp              ->  24:77:03:1d:b1:10  00:24:6c:05:88:20        55     6

What is the direction of this message? Is it coming from the radius server to the client or client to the radius server? I cannot understand why Aruba did not place the arrow between the 2 MACs to make it clear. Thanks.

• 5.  RE: Steps in troubleshooting

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 14, 2013 04:26 PM

@baboyero wrote:

I have a question about the show auth-tracebuf command. For example

Aug 02 11:10:40  eap-resp              ->  24:77:03:1d:b1:10  00:24:6c:05:88:20        55     6

What is the direction of this message? Is it coming from the radius server to the client or client to the radius server? I cannot understand why Aruba did not place the arrow between the 2 MACs to make it clear. Thanks.

That is from the client to the radius server.  The arrow is going left to right the first mac is the client and the second mac is the BSSID of the access point.

No matter where we placed the arrow, we were going to make someone unhappy.  There are alot of people at Aruba working to make sure you never have to examine output like this, period.