Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Strange behavior of Wi-Fi Client in my AMP

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Strange behavior of Wi-Fi Client in my AMP

Posted Mar 27, 2014 04:50 AM
      |   view attached

Hi,

we have a network with a master-local Aruba3400, more or less 100 APs and more or less 150 Wi-Fi clients.

We install AirWave to monitor the network and we see some strange data in the Clients->Client Detail tab: as you can see in the attached image, the client is shown in very short intervals "Authenticated" and "Not Authenticated". What does this mean? Does it mean that the client connnects and disconnects continuosly from the SSID? If it were that, I would be very worried about it.

Can someones explain me the meaning of this data?

Thanks,

Massimo

• 2.  RE: Strange behavior of Wi-Fi Client in my AMP

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 27, 2014 05:23 AM

That is because the SNMP traps received from the controller do not have the authentication status of the client so it is only reflected as "Not Authenticated".  It does not mean that client was not authenticated; it just means that that information is not sent in the trap.  Notice that all the information from polls have the correct authentication status...

• 3.  RE: Strange behavior of Wi-Fi Client in my AMP

Posted Mar 27, 2014 05:31 AM

Thanks for the explanation cjoseph!

So, if I want to monitor the client behaviour to check  for any connecttion issue I have to watch only the informations from polls? Is there a way to have the clients informanions in AirWave always updated?

• 4.  RE: Strange behavior of Wi-Fi Client in my AMP

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 27, 2014 05:39 AM

Ideally, Airwave would not show the column as "Not Authenticated" for traps, because we do not have that information in the trap.  Notice the role of the user and the forwarding mode are also not populated in traps.  Let me ask how this could possibly be remedied.  For now, just ignore the authenticated field for traps.

• 5.  RE: Strange behavior of Wi-Fi Client in my AMP

Posted Mar 27, 2014 05:58 AM

Ok, so I wait for news about it. Tommorow I will go to explain AirWave to a costumer that requested informations about Wi-Fi client connection issues; I hope I can explain this behaviour.

Meanwhile, thaks for the replies.

Massimo

• 6.  RE: Strange behavior of Wi-Fi Client in my AMP

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 27, 2014 11:11 AM

If on AOS 6.3 or newer, you have the option to move your client data to being tracked over AMON.  This will get you more realtime stats on client behavior as it switches from poll/traps to a regular data heartbeat initiated by the controller.  Think of AMON as traps at regular intervals.  To do this, you'd have to enable AMON from the controller:

# mgmt-server type amp primary-server <AMP IP address> profile <desired amp profile>

# mgmt-server profile <desired amp profile>

ex:

# mgmt-server type amp primary-server 10.10.10.100 profile default-amp

# show mgmt-server profile default-amp

Mgmt Config profile "default-amp" (Predefined (editable))
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    Parameter Value
    --------- -----
    Stats Enabled
    Tag Enabled
    Sessions Enabled
    Monitored Info Disabled
    Misc Enabled
    Location Enabled

By default, all parameters are disabled.

Then on AMP Setup -> you'll want to enable AMON monitoring, and then for client data processing over AMON, set 'prefer AMON over SNMP' = yes.