Wireless Access

last person joined: 20 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Swapping out 3400 Master Controller with 7210

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Swapping out 3400 Master Controller with 7210

Posted Aug 04, 2014 05:03 PM

Hi:

I've swapped out my old 3400 Master controller with a 7210 controller. Both are running the same OS version.

Aruba TAC told me to just make a flashbackup of the old controller and restore it on the new one, and then I would only have to configure interfaces.

But the results have been a disaster.

Much of the config did not transfer.

I'm going through the old and new config line by line and pasting in what didn't make it. (unfortunately, the new config is ordered just differently enough to fool file compare programs.)

After I paste in anything that didn't make it, does anyone else know if there's anything else I will have to do?

One particular problem, is that my guest network (controlled by CPPM guest) is now redirecting to:

https://securelogin.arubanetworks.com/auth/cp_disabled.html and I'm getting a message:

Web authentication is disabled. Please contact the administrator for assistance."

Does anyone have a clue what issue that might be?

Thanks,

Tony

• 2.  RE: Swapping out 3400 Master Controller with 7210

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 04, 2014 05:06 PM
    Check your guest registration user role and
    Make sure vthe captive portal is selected in the drop down on the right.

• 3.  RE: Swapping out 3400 Master Controller with 7210

Posted Aug 04, 2014 05:28 PM

Did you happen to install a new PEF license with your new controller where you didn't have one before?

Aaron

• 4.  RE: Swapping out 3400 Master Controller with 7210

Posted Aug 04, 2014 05:33 PM

Hmmmm.... PEF licenses.

Yes, right after the install, I moved all licenses to the controller to enable centralized licensing.

Is there some interaction between the controller and the PEF licenses?

Thanks.

• 5.  RE: Swapping out 3400 Master Controller with 7210

Posted Aug 04, 2014 05:37 PM

I noticed one two occasions that if I activated a PEF license where it wasn't there before, some of my roles were wrong on my guest network, which was handing out the ap-role by default. This gave me the "Web authentication is disabled" problem. After changing the role to an approrpiate one, it worked as expected.

Also, strangely, my on controller captive portal did not survive the 3600 -> 7210 migration. I had to grab a copy of it from the flashbackup using winzip and reinstall the custom files. This shouldn't matter for you though, since you did not use an on-controller captive portal.

• 6.  RE: Swapping out 3400 Master Controller with 7210
    Best Answer

Posted Aug 04, 2014 05:37 PM
    I suggest you make your 7210 a master standby to your old controller

This will be the best way to get a copy of your config from the othe controller

Of course both need to be on the same code and segment for you to able to complete this

• 7.  RE: Swapping out 3400 Master Controller with 7210

Posted Aug 04, 2014 06:02 PM

Hi Victor:

That's a great idea.

I think I will try that next time!

I seem to be out of the woods at this point.

After spending a lot of time comaring and copying, the new controller seems to be working OK.

Thank you all, for your help!

Tony