Wireless Access

last person joined: 21 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Syslog for When AP go down

This thread has been viewed 3 times
  • 1.  Syslog for When AP go down

Posted Mar 23, 2012 04:50 AM

I am trying to syslog when AP's go down so I can then write a rule to email my support team to get them to fix it.

I have tried a few different options but can't find the right one that alert me to this and problems with the controller with out all the other info I do need to know.

• 2.  RE: Syslog for When AP go down

Posted Jan 19, 2014 02:44 PM

Bumping up a very old thread because I also have the same question.  I'm looking to receive an email alert whenever an AP loses network connectivity.   I'm currently using a 3400 controller.  I was told when it was installed that there is no way to alert from within the controller, but it may be possible via a syslog server.

The only other way I can think of to accomplish this is to add the individual ip addresses of our AP's to our monitoring software (whats up gold).   But I rather not.

Thanks in advance.

• 3.  RE: Syslog for When AP go down

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 19, 2014 04:15 PM

The Controller-based access points are not capable of sending syslog to any external source.  Configure the controller to send syslog to an external syslog server and have that syslog server email you when it sees "Down".

• 4.  RE: Syslog for When AP go down

Posted Jan 19, 2014 08:09 PM

Thanks, I will try that again this week.  I swear the last time I did this the server was not sending down messages to my syslog server.  It was, however, sending a bunch of other junk though.

• 5.  RE: Syslog for When AP go down

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 19, 2014 10:22 PM

Please see the syslog documentation here:  http://support.arubanetworks.com/DOCUMENTATION/tabid/77/DMXModule/512/Command/Core_Download/Default.aspx?EntryId=11532 to see what message you should be looking for.  Airwave automates this nicely and does not force you to do the legwork to figure out how to make it work.