Wireless Access

MVP

Re: [TUTORIAL] [ArubaOS 6.3 and Above] [802.11ac] - Enable VHT even if you are running 20mhz channel

Heheh, pease don't. Better this way.

I just figured bigger pictures would just extend past to border of the forum into the huge grey wastes next to it if needed. 

Koen (ACMX #351 | ACDX #547 | ACCP)

-- Found something helpful, important, or cool? Click the Kudos Star in a post.
-- Problem Solved? Click "Accept as Solution" in a post.
Occasional Contributor I

Re: [TUTORIAL] [ArubaOS 6.3 and Above] [802.11ac] - Enable VHT even if you are running 20mhz channel

>> Thanks for the great tutorial! I assume the bump comes from improved modulation?

>Yes, it does.

What is actually enabled underneath with the "Enable VHT" setting on the Aruba controller?  

Which modulation are you referring to that's improved in the context of VHT?  There's the VHT-sigA and VHT-sigB fields, and VHT-sigB uses slightly improved modulation over VHT-sigA (both BPSK but the whole VHT-sigB field can fit into a single OFDM symbol, whereas VHT-sigA's modulation is limited to 24 bits per symbol) -- whew -- is that what you're referring to?  Please bark me up the right tree if this is the wrong one :).

Also, do you know what "sgi" means in "a-VHT-40sgi-2ss" (the "phy" column in 'show ap association' ) ?   I also see output like "g-HT-20sgi-2ss" so it's not just 802.11ac clients.   The 6.3.x CLI guide for that command skips that column, and there's no flag description for it in the command output.

tx,

and rx,

-nb.

Guru Elite

Occasional Contributor I

(6.4.x reference also skips the "phy" column output description, not to be confused with the "phy" argument to the command.)

Anyway, "sgi" means "short guard interval."

-nb

Occasional Contributor II

Thank you Colin!  Great doc on enabled VHT in 20mhz. 

Question, I thinking to disable even the 40Mhz and remove dfs.  Due to some legacy devices issue. 

I have

"ARM" allow bands for 40MHz channel to be none, and 80MHz support unchecked

"802.11a radio profile" checked on both High Throughtput enable radio, very high thoughtput enable (radio) channel width 20MHz.

However I still see "a-HT-40sgi-1ss" in "show ap associateion"

Thanks,

=SL=

Guru Elite

That might be a bug.  You might want to open a TAC case...

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

MVP

Check your high throughput SSID profile. Make sure 40mhz channel usage is
unchecked.
=======================================
If a reply adequately addresses your issue, please click on the "Accept as Solution" and "Give Kudos" button so this information can benefit other users.
Occasional Contributor II

Hi!

Thanks for quite reply!  Actually I over look the show ap association output .  Looking at the AP that does not have vht 40 and 80 disabled.  However, I took you advice and disable 40 and 80 in High-Thoughput SSID Profile and check on both Hight throughput and Very high throughput enable.

Thanks!

=SL=

Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: