Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

The best way moving management vlan on the controller?

This thread has been viewed 12 times
  • 1.  The best way moving management vlan on the controller?

Posted Aug 12, 2018 02:12 AM

Hi guys, 

I'd like to move my management VLAN from one to another. 

In my case, I'd like to move from VLAN 2 to VLAN 3 and also if it's possible from GE1/0 to GE1/1.

For some reason right now, VLAN 2 and 3 are coming out of GE1/0. 

When I unplugged GE1/0, I lost ping connection to both VLAN 2 and 3. 

I attached my Network > VLAN ID configuration on the controller. 

What would be the best approach here to make sure that I'm able to switch around the management vlan and not losing my GUI or SSH connection?

Appreciate it guys. Thank you.

aruba.PNGaruba2.PNGaruba3.PNGaruba4.PNG

• 2.  RE: The best way moving management vlan on the controller?

Posted Aug 12, 2018 02:13 AM

• 3.  RE: The best way moving management vlan on the controller?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 12, 2018 02:28 AM

Unfortunately, changing the controller or management ip address requires a reboot.

You would be wise to make the change using the console, because if changing the controller ip requires two steps (changing ip address and changing VLAN), it would disconnect you from the controller and you would not be able to make any further changes.

Long story short, please use the console.  The controller-ip command determines which ip address is the controller's management ip:  https://www.arubanetworks.com/techdocs/ArubaOS_64x_WebHelp/Web_Help_Index.htm#ArubaFrameStyles/Network_Parameters/Configuring_the__IP_Addr.htm?Highlight=controller-ip

• 4.  RE: The best way moving management vlan on the controller?

Posted Aug 12, 2018 02:40 AM

I did change that already and rebooted the controller but for some reason, the management is still staying on vlan 2.

I forgot to attach the System Settings picture below. 

aruba5.PNG

At the moment, only GE1/0 is connected to my switch.

And only VLAN 2: 192.168.100.219 is responding. 

aruba6.PNG

If I added GE1/0 as one of the Associated Ports for VLAN 3, I lost connection to the GUI and the controller VLAN 3: 192.168.3.219 is still not responding when I tried to ping from my PC. 

Any ideas?

I'll try to locate the console cable as you suggested. 

Thank you.

• 5.  RE: The best way moving management vlan on the controller?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 13, 2018 10:56 AM

VLAN 3 is your management VLAN, based on the screen shot you provided. As for why it's not responding to ping, that is either a routing or port configuration problem. Do you have a diagram showing your logical and physical connectivity to the controller?

Also, the output from "show vlan", "show ip interface brief", and "show ip route" would help find the connectivity issue.

• 6.  RE: The best way moving management vlan on the controller?

MVP
    Posted Aug 16, 2018 06:43 AM
    It looks like you have GE1/0 configured as an access port on VLAN2. I assume the switch side is the same. Regardless of the management VLAN on the controller, if you only allow VLAN2 into your local network then it's the only one to respond to pings. If you change the switch port and the controller port GE1/0 to VLAN3, then it should respond.

Why not configure a single trunk port with VLAN2 and VLAN3? That gives you the option to do a port-channel for added redundancy to your uplinks.