Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Time-based bandwidth limiting

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Time-based bandwidth limiting

Posted Feb 05, 2014 03:14 PM

How would I go about setting up time-based bandwidth limiting for a guest WLAN?  I already have the WLAN configured with a user-role with a bandwidth contract.  I just need to be able to bump up the bandwidth during a certain time and cut it back down during another.  I am aware of the "time-ranges" tab but I am unsure how to proceed.

I am running a 3400 controller with 6.2.1.4.

Thanks for your help!

• 2.  RE: Time-based bandwidth limiting

Posted Feb 05, 2014 03:28 PM

I think in order to accomplish this you will need ClearPass to apply the policy based on the time and day.

• 3.  RE: Time-based bandwidth limiting

Posted Feb 05, 2014 05:12 PM

The time ranges you can configure in ArubaOS can only be used in the Virtual-AP under the option "deny time range".

If you use a RADIUS server for MAC authentication or 802.1X you can create policies which will return different Aruba-User-Role attributes based on the current time. You also have to return a IETF - Session-Timeout attribute relative to the current time, you should return the amount of seconds until the time the bandwidth contract should change; this forces the client to reauthenticate so the user will fall into a new user-role.

You could also use RADIUS CoA to achieve this, changing the user-role of the connected clients at certain time.