Wireless Access

Re: Too many undersized/giant packets on port warning

You could enable jumbo on the VLAN the AP is a member of.

ACMX#255 | ACDX#742 | ACCX#746 | AMFX#25 | ACMP | ACCP | AWMP
www.securelink.nl
Highlighted
Aruba

Kevets,

Reading up on the HP's implementation of JUMBO frames, the "jumbo max-frame-size <value>" is a global command but you still need to turn on JUMBO on the VLAN level to take advantage of it. As arjan_k says, enable jumbo at the VLAN level for the VLAN that the AP is in. You can then use "show vlans ports <port-list>" to verify that JUMBO has been enabled.

Best regards,

Madani

Frequent Contributor II

Coming back to this after a long delay!

I have discovered that setting a jumbo max-frame-size (I went with 8196) on the switch in general, and then putting Jumbo in the VLAN section makes most of these go away. Unfortunately, I have a 2615 switch which has 100 Mbps ports and doesn't support Jumbo. I'll replace that soon and my logs should be quieter.

Super Contributor I

I have 100Mbps HP procurve 2615-8-PoEs and they have jumbo support.  Even the 2610s do 9216 MTUs.

It's the older cisco catalysts that do not support it on the 100Mbps interfaces (but you can trunk through them with jumbos fine.)

If you actually have some models that don't you may be able to tame the error messages by tuning the fault-finder sensitivity (bad-driver is the category on the switches I've looked at.)

Frequent Contributor II

Huh, you're right (bet you hear that a lot). For some reason I thought the jumbo commands weren't available in 2615's, but I just did it.

I'm trying to get rid of those anyway. Having an expensive AC AP connected to 100mbps port just seems wrong!

Occasional Contributor I

I had the same experience with an AP-315 on an HP 2530. Just curious, anyone see an AP drop connection to a controller or reboot due to this issue? 

Super Contributor I

Never... we were running months before getting jumbo turned on across the network.  There's still a few corners we haven't done.  The APs do PMTUD; they are expecting to have to run on traditional 1500 MTU LANS, just ready to use jumbo if you clear them a path.

Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: