Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Tool to find AP ethernet mac address

This thread has been viewed 19 times
  • 1.  Tool to find AP ethernet mac address

Posted Mar 01, 2018 02:21 AM

Is there a tool which can supply me the actual ethernet mac address of an AP? Tried Wifi analyzer but only got virtual BSSID numbers.

I am trying to find a tool where i can walk around with my phone and identify the name of the AP, ethernet mac address (difficult to reach place high up on ceiling).

Had some small success by identifying the BSSID and matching it on the controller to the wireless base mac address, but isn't there a more direct way?

• 2.  RE: Tool to find AP ethernet mac address

MVP EXPERT
    Posted Mar 01, 2018 03:31 AM

I don't know of any tools as such, but the below might help if you want to work it out from the BSSID.

https://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Controller-Based-WLANs/How-is-the-BSSID-derived-from-the-Access-Point-ethernet-MAC/ta-p/176290

Either that or you could always configure the AP name to include the wired MAC address then advertise the AP Name in the beacon frame.

https://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Controller-Based-WLANs/What-does-the-knob-quot-Advertise-AP-Name-quot-in-the-SSID/ta-p/181006

• 3.  RE: Tool to find AP ethernet mac address

Posted Mar 01, 2018 04:03 AM

Thanks, i had read the article before, but lost focus really quickly with all the math :)

Another random question: in the Aruba portal, is it possible to have APs display their type number in a separate column? I couldn't find it and have to click each individual AP to see what type it is.

Is there also a way to see which type of external antenna / part number is connected to a specific AP?

• 4.  RE: Tool to find AP ethernet mac address

MVP EXPERT
    Posted Mar 01, 2018 04:13 AM

Haha yes, I know what you mean about that article! 

Which portal are you referring to, is this a GUI on a device or a management platform such as Central or AirWave?

Not to my knowledge, you might be able to work out the antenna type from the gain provisioned on each AP or maybe just a physical inspection. 

• 5.  RE: Tool to find AP ethernet mac address

Posted Mar 01, 2018 04:27 AM

Aruba Cloud Central.

I couldn't find it in HP/MSM either, there should be some lldp type of command to figure out which antenna part number is connected to an AP.

This way you can easily find out what you would need to order for other sites, if such details are not easily obtainable.

• 6.  RE: Tool to find AP ethernet mac address

Posted Mar 01, 2018 10:53 PM

hi Pepe_Lepew

Take a look at Aruba Utilities on play store (no iphone version), it's free, built by Aruba's CTO office (props to PT). It has the ability to interact with the controller and/or airwave to correlate bssids to APs etc.  It's a bit fidly on a small screen but if you have a note/tablet size device it probably will be able to solve this for you.

If you just want a static list of bssid to apname to mac, merge the output of "show ap database long" with "show ap bss-table" into a text file perhaps.

hth.

• 7.  RE: Tool to find AP ethernet mac address

Posted Feb 05, 2021 08:18 AM
    Hi,

this a somwhat old thread but I came across the same "challenge" today to find out the mac addresses of some APs. So maybe this method might be useful for a rookie like me in the future. Basically you don't need a special tool but just use the controller.

On the CLI

sh ap database long

works for AOS 6.xx and 8.xx

In the the dashboard under Access Points you can customize columns to show the MAC address as well. A bit inconvinient in version 6.xx as you cant't copy the results. Under 8.xx copy works

------------------------------
    Joachim Becker
    ------------------------------